Successful clinical use of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) represents a significant advance in radiation oncology. Because IMRT can deliver high-dose radiation to a target with a reduced dose to the surrounding organs, it can improve the local control rate and reduce toxicities associated with radiation therapy. Since IMRT began being used in the mid-1990s, a large volume of clinical evidence of the advantages of IMRT has been collected. However, treatment planning and quality assurance (QA) of IMRT are complicated and difficult for the clinician and the medical physicist. This book, by authors renowned for their expertise in their fields, provides cumulative clinical evidence and appropriate techniques for IMRT for the clinician and the physicist. Part I deals with the foundations and techniques, history, principles, QA, treatment planning, radiobiology and related aspects of IMRT. Part II covers clinical applications with several case studies, describing contouring and dose distribution with clinical results along with descriptions of indications and a review of clinical evidence for each tumor site. The information presented in this book serves as a valuable resource for the practicing clinician and physicist.
Part 1. Foundations and Techniques
1. History of IMRT
2. PRINCIPLES OF IMRT
3.Radiobiology for IMRT
4. Treatment Planning of IMRT for Head and Neck Malignancies
5. IGRT for IMRT
6. Adaptive Radiation Therapy in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer.
Part 2. Clinical application
7. Brain Tumor: Glioblastoma ~How should we manage GBM in the era of IMRT?~
8. NASOPHARYNGEAL CANCER
9. Oropharyngeal cancer
10. Postoperative intensity-modulated radiation therapy for head and neck cancers: A case-based review
11. Sequellae of therapy of HN cancer: their prevention and therapy
12. NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER
13. MESOTHELIOMA.- 14. BREAST CANCER
15. Clinical application of IMRT for cervical esophageal cancer
16. THORACIC ESOPHAGEAL CANCER
18. Anal canal cancer
19. Early prostate cancer (T1-2N0M0)
20. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer
21. Gynecologic Malignancies
22. Pediatric Cancers.