Why you need the European Pharmacopoeia
The European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.) is a single reference work for the quality control of medicines. The official standards it contains provide a scientific basis for quality control during the entire life cycle of a product.
These standards are legally binding – as laid down in the Council of Europe Convention on the Elaboration of a European Pharmacopoeia and in EU and national pharmaceutical legislation. Ph. Eur. quality standards become mandatory on the same date in all States Parties to the convention.
The 10th Edition at a glance
- The pharmacopoeia you need to comply with in order to market your products in 39 European countries and beyond.
- It delivers crucial information earlier than any other pharmacopoeia.
- The 10th Edition (initial release plus supplements 10.1 and 10.2) contains 2 426 monographs, 372 general texts (including general monographs and methods of analysis) and around 2 780 descriptions of reagents.
Initial release and updates
The 10th Edition of the Ph. Eur. was released in July 2019 and will be updated with eight periodic supplements over the following three years (10.1 to 10.8).
Available in print and electronic versions
- Print version: the 10th Edition consists of three initial volumes (10.0) complemented by eight non-cumulative supplements (10.1 to 10.8). For the convenience of users, direct access to complementary information (Knowledge Database) is included for each monograph and general chapters through a data matrix code. Available in either English or French, the print version contains a subscription key (EPID code) that allows access to online archives.
- NEW electronic version:
- completely cumulative versions, bilingual (English and French), with new features and direct access to complementary information (Knowledge Database);
- access to the European Pharmacopoeia Online website from all recent common operating systems (tablet- and smartphone-friendly);
- an application fully compatible with recent Windows and Linux operating systems (Mac coming soon);
- individual use: install the application to one computer and to one USB stick, for online or offline use and easy access while on the move or in environments where using the book or the website is not possible or practical;
- shared use: install the application to several computers or USB sticks, for online or offline use, for example for non-nominative access in university libraries or laboratories.
- New management of licences.
Other features of this new electronic version of the Ph. Eur. include:
- direct links to texts;
- improved search-query management;
- improved visibility of changes (for revised and corrected texts).
For more information and for technical specifications, please consult the EDQM FAQs and the user manual.
Access to archives included in the subscription. The Ph. Eur. online archives are available to all users with an up-to-date subscription (print or electronic).
- 10th Edition print version: the 2020 subscription includes the first three volumes (10.0), the first two non-cumulative updates (10.1 and 10.2) and provides access to the Ph. Eur. online archives until 31 December 2020.
- 10th Edition electronic version: the 2020 subscription provides access to the content of the initial release, the first two cumulative updates (10.1 and 10.2) and to the Ph. Eur. online archives until 31 December 2020.
- Languages: the print version is available in either English or French, whereas the electronic version is bilingual (English and French).
- Prices and offers:
- €540 per subscription;
- a package including print and electronic versions is available, for a significantly reduced price, to users interested in having both versions;
- benefit from free handling charges (for the print version)
- save money by purchasing more than two electronic versions at the same time;
- special prices for universities;