ABOUT THIS BOOK
- Brings together the existing knowledge in the field of drowning prevention, rescue and treatment
Since the first edition of the Handbook on Drowning, major water-related disasters have caused tens of thousands of deaths and various important research initiatives have been undertaken. Epidemiological data are now more robust and significant information has emerged on prevention strategies, rescue techniques, and treatment options. This completely updated second edition contains a wealth of information on recent developments, including a selection of the most significant findings presented at the World Congress on Drowning Prevention, held in Da Nang in 2011. Experts from around the world provide an overview of current research and offer consensus opinions on all aspects of drowning. The Handbook on Drowning is of unique value for lifeguards, search and rescue personnel, firefighters, the maritime community, and medical professionals. It is indispensable for those with strategic, operational, organizational, or educational responsibilities in the field.
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Keywords » Drowning - Drowning Prevention - Hypothermia - Rescue - Resuscitation
Related subjects » Anesthesiology - Cardiology & Angiology - Critical Care & Emergency Medicine
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Epidemiology of Drowning.
- The Prevention of Drowning.
- Rescue Organisational Aspects: Planning, Training and Preparation.
- Rescue Techniques.
- Hospital Treatment.
- Brain Resuscitation in the Drowning Victim.
- Immersion Hypothermia.
- Water-related Disasters.
- Breath-hold, SCUBA and Hose Diving.
- Investigation of Drowning Accidents.
- Important Websites.