- Systematic reviews of best evidence health interventions
- Global perspective, with a focus on effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of health policy interventions
- Provides a broad overview of the most important public health problems
This wide-ranging study reviews the state of public health worldwide and presents informed recommendations for real-world solutions. Identifying the most urgent challenges in the field, from better understanding the causes of acute diseases and chronic conditions to reducing health inequities, it reports on cost-effective, science-based, ethically sound interventions. Chapters demonstrate bedrock skills essential to developing best practices, including flexible thinking for entrenched problems, conducting health impactassessments, and working with decision-makers. From these current findings come long-term practice and policy goals for preventing disease, promoting health, and improving quality of life, both locally and globally.
A sampling of the topics covered:
- Healthtrends of communicablediseases.
- Epidemiology of cancer and principles of prevention.
- Respiratorydiseases and healthdisordersrelated to indoor and outdoor air pollution.
- Publichealthgerontology and active aging.
- Migrant and ethnicminorityhealth.
A Systematic Review of Key Issues in Public Health offers graduate students in the discipline a firm grasp on the field as it presently stands, and a clear set of directions for its potential future.