The first comprehensive examination of injuries associated with adventure and extreme sports
This book reviews the existing data on the frequency and distribution of injuries and the factors contributing to injuries in adventure and extreme sports. Further, it suggests injury prevention strategies and provides recommendations for future research. Providing the first comprehensive compilation of epidemiological data over a range of new age sports considered to be adventurous and extreme, this publication is also the first of its kind to track down all of the major literature associated with the topic.
A uniform and evidence-based approach to organizing and interpreting the literature is used in all chapters. All of the sport-specific chapters are laid out with the same basic headings making it easier for the reader to find common information across chapters.
Sports physicians, physical therapists, recreation managers, researchers, injury prevention specialists, the adventure and extreme sport industry, and the adventure and extreme sport participants themselves will find the book useful in identifying problem areas in which appropriate preventive measures can be initiated to reduce the risk and severity of injuries. They will also want to use the book as a source for future research related to injuries in adventure and extreme sports.
Table of Contents
- Preliminary Pages
- ITitle Page
- Table of Contents
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Adventure and Extreme Sports
- Back Country and Mountain Sports
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Mountaineering, Rock and Ice Climbing
Schöffl, V. ; Morrison, A. ; Schöffl, I. ; Küpper, T.
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Hang-Gliding and Paragliding
- Ocean and Freshwater Sports
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Scuba Diving
- The Epidemiology of Injury among Surfers, Kite Surfers and Personal Watercraft Riders: Wind and Waves
Pikora, T.J. ; Braham, R. ; Mills, C.
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Canoeing, Kayaking and Rafting
Franklin, R.C. ; Leggat, P.A.
- Terrain-Based Sports
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Bungee Jumping, BASE Jumping, and Skydiving
- The Epidemiology of Extreme Hiking Injuries in Volcanic Environments
Heggie, T.W. ; Heggie, T.M.
- The Epidemiology of Injury in Skateboarding
- The Epidemiology of Injury in ATV and Motocross Sports
Larson, A.N. ; McIntosh, A.L.
- Further Section
- Author Index
- Subject Index