UNIT 1 Nursing Foundation of Clinical Pharmacology
- Chapter 1 General Principles of Pharmacology
- Chapter 2 Administration of Drugs
- Chapter 3 Making Drug Dosing Safer
- Chapter 4 The Nursing Process
- Chapter 5 Client and Family Teaching
UNIT 2 Drugs Used to Fight Infections
- Chapter 6 Antibacterial Drugs: Sulfonamides
- Chapter 7 Antibacterial Drugs That Disrupt the Bacterial Cell Wall
- Chapter 8 Antibacterial Drugs That Interfere With Protein Synthesis
- Chapter 9 Antibacterial Drugs That Interfere With DNA/RNA Synthesis
- Chapter 10 Antitubercular Drugs
- Chapter 11 Antiviral Drugs
- Chapter 12 Antifungal and Antiparasitic Drugs
UNIT 3 Drugs Used to Manage Pain
- Chapter 13 Nonopioid Analgesics: Salicylates and Nonsalicylates
- Chapter 14 Nonopioid Analgesics: Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and Migraine Headache Medications
- Chapter 15 Opioid Analgesics and Antagonists
- Chapter 16 Anesthetic Drugs
UNIT 4 Drugs That Affect the Central Nervous System
- Chapter 17 Central Nervous System Stimulants
- Chapter 18 Antidementia Drugs
- Chapter 19 Antianxiety Drugs
- Chapter 20 Sedatives and Hypnotics
- Chapter 21 Antidepressant Drugs
- Chapter 22 Antipsychotic Drugs
UNIT 5 Drugs That Affect the Peripheral Nervous System
- Chapter 23 Adrenergic Drugs
- Chapter 24 Adrenergic Blocking Drugs
- Chapter 25 Cholinergic Drugs
- Chapter 26 Cholinergic Blocking Drugs
UNIT 6 Drugs That Affect the Neuromuscular System
- Chapter 27 Antiparkinson Drugs
- Chapter 28 Antiepileptics
- Chapter 29 Skeletal Muscle, Bone, and Joint Disorder Drugs
UNIT 7 Drugs That Affect the Respiratory System
- Chapter 30 Upper Respiratory System Drugs
- Chapter 31 Lower Respiratory System Drugs
UNIT 8 Drugs That Affect the Cardiovascular System
- Chapter 32 Diuretics
- Chapter 33 Antihyperlipidemic Drugs
- Chapter 34 Antihypertensive Drugs
- Chapter 35 Antianginal and Vasodilating Drugs
- Chapter 36 Anticoagulant and Thrombolytic Drugs
- Chapter 37 Cardiotonic and Antiarrhythmic Drugs
UNIT 9 Drugs That Affect the Gastrointestinal System
- Chapter 38 Upper Gastrointestinal System Drugs
- Chapter 39 Lower Gastrointestinal System Drugs
UNIT 10 Drugs That Affect the Endocrine System
- Chapter 40 Antidiabetic Drugs
- Chapter 41 Pituitary and Adrenocortical Hormones
- Chapter 42 Thyroid and Antithyroid Drugs
- Chapter 43 Male and Female Hormones
- Chapter 44 Uterine Drugs
UNIT 11 Drugs That Affect the Urinary System
- Chapter 45 Menopause and Andropause Drugs
- Chapter 46 Urinary Tract Anti-Infectives and Other Urinary Drugs
UNIT 12 Drugs That Affect the Immune System
- Chapter 47 Vaccines
- Chapter 48 Immunostimulants and Modulators
- Chapter 49 Immune Blockers
UNIT 13 Drugs that Fight Cancer
- Chapter 50 Traditional Chemotherapy
- Chapter 51 Immune Modulating Therapies
UNIT 14 Drugs That Affect Other Body Systems
- Chapter 52 Skin Disorder Topical Drugs
- Chapter 53 Otic and Ophthalmic Preparations
- Chapter 54 Fluids, Electrolytes, and Parenteral Therapy
Known for its impeccably accurate drug content and proven nursing process approach, Introductory Clinical Pharmacology, 12th Edition, is developed by nurses for nurses, delivering the pharmacologic foundation and clinical judgment skills essential for success on the NCLEX-PN® and in today’s nursing practice. Written with client outcomes in mind, this bestselling text not only helps students learn about drugs and their effects on real people, but also teaches students how to effectively relay this information to clients. Straightforward, simplified language makes complex concepts accessible, and a focus on practical application ultimately strengthens adherence to treatment strategies for optimal client outcomes.
The extensively updated 12th Edition reflects the latest approaches to basic principles and the nurse’s role in medication management, including in-depth coverage of the drug approval process, drug administration, the use of drugs in pain management, and more. Accompanied by powerful online resources — such as videos, NCLEX-PN-style review questions, and drug monographs — it’s the perfect resource to hone students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills and prepare them for clinical success.
Ensure a mastery of essential nursing skills and equip students for success throughout the nursing education continuum with the complete Introductory Clinical Pharmacology, 12th Edition solution (available for separate purchase):
- Introductory Clinical Pharmacology, 12th Edition
- Study Guide to Accompany Introductory Clinical Pharmacology, 12th Edition
- Lippincott® CoursePoint for Introductory Clinical Pharmacology, 12th Edition
- vSim® for Nursing Pharmacology
- Lippincott® DocuCare
- UPDATED! Content, covering the latest practices in drug administration, pain management, and keeps students current with the most recent information.
- NEW! Two Units of Content, the first new unit expands the content of immunology agents and with an increase of biological agents being used in the treatment of cancers, a second new unit was added.
- NEW! Drugs That Fight Cancer unit familiarizes students with the latest biologic agents used in cancer treatment.
- NEW! Look-alike, Sound-alike boxes help students prevent administration errors resulting from drug names commonly mistaken for other agents.
- NEW! Practice considerations provide helpful hints to ancillary drugs or actions that may be relevant in the use of commonly administered agents.
- NEW! Tall man lettering now featured in Summary Drug Tables visually reinforces drug name distinctions to strengthen administration safety.
- REVISED! Nursing Process Assessments detail key data in a bulleted checklist format to help the LPN complete patient assessments quickly and efficiently.
- REVISED! Pharmacology in Practice discussion questions empower students to assess their knowledge and pursue additional learning support as needed.
- Learning objectives help students study efficiently and stay focused on key chapter takeaways.
- Summary Drug Tables illustrate the pronunciation of generic drug terms for greater clarity and easier mastery.