- Chapter 1. Intro to Health Assessment and Social Determinants of Health
- Chapter 2. Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgement in Health Assessment
- Chapter 3. Interviewing and Communication
- Chapter 4. The Health History
- Chapter 5. Cultural and Spiritual Assessment
- Chapter 6. Physical Examination: Let’s Get Started
- Chapter 7. Beginning the Physical Examination: General Survey, Vital Signs, and Pain
- Chapter 8. Nutrition and Hydration
Unit 2—Body Systems
- Chapter 9. The Integumentary System
- Chapter 10. The Head and Neck
- Chapter 11.The Eyes
- Chapter 12. Ears, Nose, Mouth, and Throat
- Chapter 13. The Respiratory System
- Chapter 14. The Cardiovascular System
- Chapter 15. The Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
- Chapter 16. The Gastrointestinal and Renal Systems
- Chapter 17. The Breasts and Axillae
- Chapter 18. The Musculoskeletal System
- Chapter 19. Mental Status and Mental Health Assessment
- Chapter 20. The Nervous System
- Chapter 21. Reproductive Systems
- Chapter 22. Putting the Physical Examination All Together
Unit 3—Special Lifespan
- Chapter 23. Assessing Children: Infancy Through Adolescence
- Chapter 24. Assessing Older Adults
Continuing a legacy of excellence that spans nearly five decades, Bates’ Nursing Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 3rd Edition, adapts the proven techniques and vibrant visuals of Bates’ gold-standard assessment text specifically for the needs of today’s nursing students. Thoroughly updated, evidence-based coverage emphasizes the healthy patient and clearly details common findings and diseases to help students develop and practice key skills in physical examination and history taking.
Content is logically organized by Foundations, Body Systems, and Special Lifespan Considerations, incorporating essential review of anatomy and physiology, as well as critical practice in health history review, recording findings, and health promotion. Reflecting the latest research in the field, including emerging issues such as vaping, the opioid crisis, and the COVID-19 pandemic, the 3rd Edition combines trusted approaches with current clinical perspectives to equip your students for success throughout their nursing careers.
- UPDATED! Content familiarizes students with the latest evidence-based research and emerging clinical concerns, including vaping, the opioid crisis, and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UPDATED! Full-color images clarify key concepts and techniques in vivid detail.
- UPDATED! An enhanced design emphasizes key content and helps students learn more efficiently
- A clear, concise, two-column format ensures fast, efficient reference for essential examination techniques and relevant abnormalities and interpretations.
- Concept Mastery Alerts clarify potentially confusing concepts, informed by Lippincott® PrepU’s adaptive learning quizzes.
- Clinical Tips alert students to important considerations for effective practice.
- Detailed tables reinforce students’ observation skills and clinical acumen.