Part I Overview of Nursing Research and Its Role in Evidence-Based Practice
Chapter 1 Introducing Nursing Research for Evidence-Based Practice
Chapter 2 Understanding Key Concepts and Steps in Quantitative and Qualitative Research
Chapter 3 Reading and Critically Appraising Research Articles
Chapter 4 Attending to Ethics in Research
Part 2 Preliminary Steps in Qualitative and Quantitative Research
Chapter 5 Identifying Research Problems, Research Questions, and Hypotheses
Chapter 6 Finding and Reviewing Research Evidence in the Literature
Chapter 7 Understanding Theoretical and Conceptual Frameworks
Part 3 Designs and Methods for Qualitative and Quantitative Nursing Research
Chapter 8 Appraising Quantitative Research Design
Chapter 9 Appraising Sampling and Data Collection in Quantitative Studies
Chapter 10 Appraising Qualitative Designs and Approaches
Chapter 11 Appraising Sampling and Data Collection in Qualitative Studies
Chapter 12 Understanding Mixed Methods Research, Quality Improvement, and Other Special Types of Research
Part 4 Analysis, Interpretation, and Application of Nursing Research
Chapter 13 Understanding Statistical Analysis of Quantitative Data
Chapter 14 Interpreting Quantitative Findings and Evaluating Clinical Significance
Chapter 15 Understanding the Analysis of Qualitative Data
Chapter 16 Appraising Trustworthiness and Integrity in Qualitative Research
Chapter 17 Learning from Systematic Reviews
Chapter 18 Putting Research Evidence into Practice: Evidence-Based Practice and Practice-Based Evidence
Appendix A Swenson et al., Parents’ Use of Praise and Criticism in a Sample of Young Children Seeking Mental Health Services
Appendix B Beck and Watson, Posttraumatic Growth After Birth Trauma
Appendix C Bail et al., Cancer-Related Symptoms and Cognitive Intervention Adherence Among Breast Cancer Survivors
Appendix D Wilson et al., A Randomized Controlled Trial of an Individualized Preoperative Education Intervention for Symptom Management After Total Knee Arthroplasty
Critical Appraisal of Wilson and Colleagues’ Study
The world’s most widely used nursing research textbook, Essentials of Nursing Research, Tenth Edition equips students with everything they need to confidently apply research to nursing practice. AJN award-winning authors Denise Polit and Cheryl Beck clarify the language of nursing research and instill a practical understanding of nursing research fundamentals and the research process for both quantitative and qualitative studies — including design principles; sampling and data collection; criteria for assessing data quality; appraising the quality, rigor, and trustworthiness of studies; and approaches to understand the statistical results.
This updated edition incorporates the latest clinical insights and approaches to research to familiarize students with increasingly important considerations in today’s nursing practice, including the involvement of patients and stakeholders in translating research evidence to local settings; the appraisal of not only the rigor of research designs and methods but also the relevance and applicability of practice-based evidence; and the effective use of research in local quality improvement (QI) projects.
- UPDATED! Research insights reflect the latest, most relevant considerations for today’s evolving nursing practice, including new coverage of quality improvement (QI) projects, clinical significance, comparative effectiveness research (CER), and systematic reviews.
- UPDATED! New organization simplifies the presentation of complex topics and better facilitates the use of research evidence in nursing practice.
- Clear, approachable writing makes difficult ideas easily digestible, even to students with no prior knowledge of technical terms.
- Critical Appraisal Guidelines walk students through studies and highlight aspects amenable to evaluation by research consumers.
- Research Examples and Critical Thinking Exercises emphasize important points and sharpen students’ critical thinking skills.
- Tips help students confidently translate abstract notions of research methods into concrete applications.
- Colorful tables, figures, and examples engage students’ attention and reinforce their understanding.
- Chapter Objectives emphasize essential information in each chapter.
- Key Terms familiarize students with common research terms.
- Bulleted Summary Points highlight key takeaways at a glance.
Ensure a mastery of essential nursing skills and equip students for success throughout the nursing education continuum with the complete Essentials of Nursing Research, Tenth Edition solution:
- Lippincott® CoursePoint
- Study Guide for Essentials of Nursing Research, Tenth Edition