Edited by Julia Polak (Imperial College London, UK).
The use of stem cells to help with lung regeneration and repair is a novel therapy which could help phase out the need for conventional surgical or pharmacological approaches currently employed to treat diseases of the lung or other organs. The present book explores all avenues of this new form of medical care, moving swiftly, but in depth, from the basic science of lung development, to the analyses of different stem cell types available for regeneration and on to the application of this knowledge base in initial clinical trials.
In this volume a stellar group of researchers converge, from different angles,
to help towards clarifying the basic mechanisms of lung repair. These range
from basic concepts of regeneration and lung development, the analyses of a
variety of cell types that may be involved in lung repair, to ways of creating
complex lung structures, including artificial and bioartificial lungs. The book
offers an insight into repair mechanisms of the diseased lung, the role of specific
lung niches and provides information on initial clinical trials as well as the
use of stem cells as vehicles for gene therapy. Ingenious technological aspects
of assessing stem cell engraftment of stem cell bioprocessing are also included
in this volume.
- A General Review of the Current Knowledge of Stem Cell Therapy for Lung Disorders (D J Weiss)
- Development of the Lung: Clues for Regeneration and Repair (S G Haworth & A A Hislop)
- Epithelial-Mesenchymal Interactions During Lung Development and Their Potential Relevance to Lung Repair (A Firsova et al.)
- Epithelial Progenitor Cells of the mammalian Lung (R M Teisanu et al.)
- Safety of Exogeneous Stem Cells (E K Sage et al.)
- Lung Stem Cell Bioprocessing: Fundamentals of Producing Lung Cells (S N Ismail et al.)
- Lung Repair and Regeneration — Animal Models (H Kubo)
- Fibrocytes (Reactive or Reparative) (A Bellini & S Mattoli)
- Three-Dimensional Pulmonary Constructs (C M Finck et al.)
- Stem Cells as Vehicles for Gene Therapy in Lung Repair (S H J Mei & D J Stewart)
- Repair of the Lung Epithelium in Cystic Fibrosis (V Sueblinvong & D J Weiss)
- Pulmonary Hypertension and Stem Cell Therapy (M M Lalu et al.)
- Molecular Induction of Alveolar Regeneration (M Hind & S Stinchcombe)
- Assessment of Cell Engraftment (R Zweigerdt & W Rust)
- In Vivo Imaging for Cell Therapy (R Newton & G-Z Yang)
- Haematopoietic Transplantation and Pulmonary Chimerism (B T Suratt)
- Stem Cells and Lung Cancer (A C Lebrenne et al.)
Readership: Postgraduates, clinicians and researchers in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine.