This book takes an innovative new approach to therapeutic decision-making, providing answers to a range of questions that the busy clinician faces on a daily basis. In a carefully chosen series of discussions, the contributors, all of whom are internationally recognised authorities in their fields, offer their own recommendations for managing difficult problems and offer insights into the value or otherwise of various treatment choices based on their own experience and the available evidence.
* Provides treatment recommendations based on hands-on clinical experience at leading centres of excellence * Public health and patient care for diabetes reviewed * Aids the physician in prescribing for the diabetic patient presenting with challenging conditions
AH Barnett, Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, University of Birmingham, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK.
Cardiologists * Endocrinologists * Nephrologists * General physicians * Doctors in training
1. Screening for diabetes: do the benefits justify the cost* M Marre, F Travert
2. Obesity-related disease: how can we stem the tide* J Webber
3. Managing the normotensive type 2 diabetic patient with microalbuminuria, A Mon, F Joseph
4. Given the very high risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease should targets be lower in the South Asian and similar populations* S Bellary
5. Does pharmacotherapy have a place in the weight management of patients with type 2 diabetes* L van Gaal
6. What should be the second line therapy after metformin in the overweight type 2 diabetic patient* B Gallwitz
7. The place of incretin based therapies in patients with type 2 diabetes, M Evans
8. How should I manage my diabetic patient who has recently had a myocardial infarction* M Fisher
9. Can I prevent problems in the "at risk" diabetic foot* M Stevens
10. How should I manage the pregnant patient with type 2 diabetes* F Dunne
11. How should I deal with poor concordance in my diabetic patients* J Rungby, B Brock
12. Organisation of diabetes care and the multiprofessional team, R Gadsby, J Hill