Small incision manual extracapsular techniques, the first choice alternative to phacoemulsification, give visual results equivalent to phacoemulsification at lower cost. Surgeons using this technique regardless of what the latest technology to appear is, are performing state-of-the-art surgery for their patients.
Fifty-seven chapters cover all aspects of small incision cataract surgery from lens anatomy to various operative techniques, complications, management and recent advances. It is the first alternative choice to phacoemulsification. Also included are two CD-ROMs to accompany the book.
Section 1: Preoperative Evaluation and Preliminary Considerations
1. Anatomy of Human Crystalline Lens, Capsular Bag, Zonules and its Relevance to Cataract Surgery 2. Biochemistry of the Lens 3. Cataract Etiology: A Comprehensive Review 4. Cataract Classification and Various Treatment Modalities 5. Ocular Biometry 6. Sterilization 7. Anesthesia in Cataract Surgery 8. Viscoanesthetic Solutions for Small Incision Cataract Surgery: Experimental Studies and Clinical Applications 9. Dynamics of Ocular Surgical Adjuncts in Cataract Surgery 10. Update on Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Devices 11. Corneal Topography in Cataract Surgery 12. Capsular Dye Enhanced Cataract Surgery 13. Relevance and Clinical Significance of SICS (Manual Phaco) in Modern Cataract Surgery 14. Learning Curve in Small Incision Cataract Surgery 15. Preoperative Preparation of the Patient in Small Incision Cataract Surgery
Section 2: Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (MSICS) Techniques
16. The Dynamics of Sutureless Cataract Incisions 17. Small Incision Planned Extra 18. Dynamics of Incision and Wound Construction in SICS 19. Capsulorhexis 20. Dynamics of Hydroprocedures in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery 21. Dynamics of Cortex and Epinucleus Aspiration in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery 22. Dynamics of Nucleus Management in SICS 23. IOL Implantation Techniques in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery 24. Materials for Intraocular Lenses 25. Blumenthal's Technique in MSICS: A 100% Approach 26. Phacofracture Technique in SICS 27. Manual Multiphacogfragmentation (MPF) Allows for Small Incision Cataract Surgery 28. Closed Chamber Manual Phacofragmentation 29. Phacosection Technique in SICS 30. Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery Using Irrigating Vectis 31. SICS Surgery in Difficult Situations 32. Small Incision Sutureless Temporal Approach Extracapsular Cataract Surgery 33. Phaco Sandwich Technique in SICS 34. Sutureless Cataract Surgery with Nucleus Extraction - Fishhook Technique 35. The Jaws Slider Pincer Technique for Small Incision Non-phaco Cataract Surgery 36. The Double Wire Snare Splitter Technique for Small Incision, Non-phaco Cataract Surgery 37. Versatility of Anterior Chamber Maintainer in SICS 38. Small Incision Non-phacoemulsification Surgery and Glaucoma 39. SICS in Pediatric Cataracts 40. Mini Nuc Cataract Surgery Under Topical Anesthesia 41. Ocular Pharmacokinetics in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery
Section 3: Complications and Their Management
42. Management of Anterior Segment Complications in SICS 43. Posterior Segment Complications in SICS and Management 44. Management of Astigmatism in SICS 45. Complications and their Avoidance in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery 46. Postsurgical Cystoid Macular Edema 47. Favit: A New Method to Remove Dropped Nuclei 48. Management of Nucleus Prolapse in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery 49. Management of Dislocated Lens and Lens Fragments by Vitreoretinal Approach 50. Management of Dislocated Implants by Vitreoretinal Approach 51. Posterior Dislocation of Lens Material During Cataract Surgery 52. Management of Postoperative Endophthalmitis 53. Update on Posterior Capsule Opacification: Etiopathogenesis, Clinical Manifestations, Pharmacological and Surgical Prevention 54. Update on Delayed Postoperative Opacification of Rigid and Foldable Intraocular Lenses
Section 4: Recent Advances and Future Considerations
55. Recent Techniques in Nucleus Delivery in SICS 56. Pediatric Cataract: IOL Surgery: Past, Present and Future 57. Update on Twenty-first Century Cataract: Intraocular Lens Surgery
1. Small Incision Planned Extra 2. Caveats and Complications Avoidance 3. Small Incision Sutureless Temporal Approach Extra Capsular Cataract Surgery 4. Manual Phacofragmerntation: A Technique through 3.5 mm Scleral Tunnel Incision 5. Manual Phacofragmentation: