Diabetes is a common and debilitating condition encountered by all doctors worldwide, regardless of specialist interest. This book aims to give the reader an understanding of the background, diagnosis, investigation and management of diabetes and endocrine disease. This book is set out in three main sections. The first gives a background understanding of diabetes and a review of glandular systems. The second outlines the disease problems and their investigation, including the specific complications of diabetes. The third covers the management and treatment of diabetes and endocrine disease, importantly including prevention and screening.
This is the third book in a new series which combines a symptoms and problem-based approach. It will appeal to medical students and instructors, to junior doctors and to health care professionals dealing with diabetes and endocrine diseases.
Part 1 - THE BASICS
- DIABETES: The impact of diabetes, Insulin action, The epidemiology of Type 1 diabetes, The pathophysiology of Type 1 diabetes, The epidemiology of Type 2 diabetes, The pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, Other forms of diabetes.
- ENDOCRINOLOGY: The thyroid gland – structure and function, The parathyroid glands – structure and function, The adrenal glands– structure and function, The pituitary gland – structure and function, The reproductive organs – structure and function.
Part 2 - THE PROBLEMS - Diagnosis, Investigation and Complications
- DIABETES: Diagnosis, Presentation, Acute / emergency diabetes care, Long term complications, Children and adolescents, Pregnancy.
- ENDOCRINOLOGY: Thyroid disease, Parathyroid disease, Adrenal disease, Pituitary disease, Metabolic disturbances, Reproductive hormones.
Part 3 - THE SOLUTIONS - Prevention, management and treatment
- DIABETES: The prevention of Type 1 diabetes, The prevention of Type 2 diabetes, Management and lifestyle, Pharmacological treatments in Type 2 diabetes.
- ENDOCRINOLOGY: Managing thyroid disease, Managing parathyroid disease, Managing adrenal disease, Managing pituitary disease, Managing metabolic disease, Managing reproductive disease.