This year Section 6 is updated to include 37 videos, plus several new animations and images. New animations demonstrate the Krimsky test, cover-uncover test, alternate cover test, prism alternate cover test, simultaneous prism and cover test. Tables detailing neuro -oculocutaneous syndromes are also included.
This volume begins with discussions of the pediatric eye examination and extraocular muscle anatomy. Includes chapters on amblyopia, sensory physiology and pathology, and the diagnostic evaluation of strabismus. Examines the clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of esodeviations and exodeviations, pattern strabismus, vertical deviations, nystagmus, and special forms of strabismus. Also, describes key aspects of extraocular muscle surgery.
The second part of this book covers the full range of pediatric ocular disorders. Videos covering diagnostic evaluation, procedures for vertical deviations and surgery of the extraocular muscles are included. Both print and eBook users have access to the videos.
Upon completion of Section 6, readers should be able to:
- Describe evaluation techniques for young children that provide the maximum gain of information with the least trauma and frustration
- Explain the classification and diagnosis of amblyopia, as well as the treatment options
- Describe the commonly used diagnostic and measurement tests for strabismus
- List the possible complications of strabismus surgery, and describe guidelines to minimize them
- Design an approach to the diagnosis of decreased vision in children, and list resources available to these patients
About the BCSC
The Academy's Basic and Clinical Science Course™ (BCSC®) is ophthalmology’s definitive compilation of scientific research and clinical experience. It is continually updated by a faculty of more than 100 expert ophthalmologists. Each of the 13 volumes includes fundamental clinical knowledge; numerous tables, photos and illustrations; self-assessment questions with answers; and opportunities for earning AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
Beginning with the 2013–2014 edition, the Academy and the European Board of Ophthalmology (EBO) have partnered to make the BCSC the standard text for all European ophthalmology training programs. The EBO now recommends the BCSC as the primary educational resource for European trainees and ophthalmologists studying for the annual EBO Diploma Exam.