1. The Evolution of Physical Therapy Practice
2. Insurance and Reimbursement
3. The Health Care Team
5. Physical Therapy and Community Service
6. The Physical Therapist as a Researcher
7. Clinical Education in Physical Therapy: Past, Present, and Future
8. A Student's Perspective of Clinical Education
9. Resources for Career Development
10. Professionalism in Society
11. Acquisition of a First Job
12. Evaluating the Job Offer
13. The Physical Therapist as an Effective Teacher
14. Cultural and Spiritual Competence in Health Care
15. The Legal Aspects of Physical Therapy Practice
16. The Future of Physical Therapy
A unique blueprint to a successful physical therapy practice from renowned experts
In the last 100 years, the profession of physical therapy has grown from a little-known band of "reconstruction aides" to a large and expanding worldwide group of dedicated professionals at the cutting edge of health care diagnostics, interventions, research, ethics, and altruistic community service. Foundations: An Introduction to Physical Therapy by distinguished physical therapist and educator Stephen Carp reflects nearly 40 years of expertise in this evolving field.
The book covers the "the background music" of physical therapy – important issues aspiring physical therapists and physical therapist assistants need to master prior to starting clinical practice. Sixteen chapters present a broad spectrum of content, covering core behavioral, clinical, and professional concerns encountered in practice. Experts provide firsthand guidance on reimbursement, working as a healthcare team, documentation, ethical issues and community service, clinical research and education, an overview of the APTA, career development, and more.
- From the history of the profession to cultural, spiritual and legal aspects of practice, this unique resource provides insights not found in traditional physical therapy foundation textbooks
- About 20 comprehensive vignettes with real-life experiences enhance the text
- Text boxes with insightful "first-person" narratives highlight chapter content
- A list of review questions and meticulous references at the end of every chapter enhance learning and encourage further research
All PT and PTA students will benefit from the expert wisdom and pearls shared in this essential reference.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.