Significantly revised and updated, the new 8th edition of this bestselling manual provides the latest recommendations on quality care of pregnant women, their foetuses, and their newborn infants.
Jointly developed by the AAP and ACOG, this unique resource addresses the full spectrum of perinatal medicine from obstetric and pediatric standpoints.
- New section on suggested levels of maternal care from birth centres to level IV institutions.
- New sections on screening for preterm delivery risk added to chapter on antepartum care.
- New topics covered include the timing of cord clamping, the need (or not) for bedrest, and updates in hypertension.
- Guidance regarding postpartum contraception recommendations has been expanded.
- New sections on mosquito-borne illnesses (including Zika).
- New section infections with high risk infection control issues.
- Updated recommendations on neonatal resuscitation, screening and management of hyperbilirubinemia, and neonatal drug withdrawal.
- Organization of perinatal health care.
- Inpatient perinatal care services.
- Quality improvement and patient safety.
- Maternal and neonatal inter-hospital transfer.
- Preconception care.
- Antepartum care.
- Intrapartum care of the mother.
- Postpartum care of the mother.
- Medical and obstetric complications.
- Care of the newborn.
- Neonatal complications and management of high-risk infants.
- Perinatal infections.
- Infection control.
"As a neonatal doctor I have found it valuable in terms of understanding obstetric decision-making and also for making treatment decisions for the newborn babies under my care [...] It is a book I will keep referring back to" - Stefan Zalewski, Infant magazine