The flagship title of the certification suite from the American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription is a handbook that delivers scientifically based standards on exercise testing and prescription to the certification candidate, the professional, and the student. The 9th edition focuses on evidence-based recommendations that reflect the latest research and clinical information. This manual is an essential resource for any health/fitness and clinical exercise professional, physician, nurse, physician assistant, physical and occupational therapist, dietician, and health care administrator. This manual gives succinct summaries of recommended procedures for exercise testing and exercise prescription in healthy and diseased patients.
- Up-to-date evidence-based guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.
- Written by the gold standard American College of Sports Medicine
- We have integrated the most recent guidelines and recommendations available from ACSM position stands and other relevant professional organization’s scientific statements so that the Guidelines are the most current, primary resource for professionals that conduct exercise testing and exercise programs in academic, corporate, health/fitness, health care, and research settings.
- NEW! Supports the public health message that all people should adopt a physically active lifestyle by reducing the emphasis on the need for medical evaluation as part of the preparticipation health screening process prior to initiating a progressive exercise regimen among healthy, asymptomatic persons
- NEW! We have instituted an automated referencing system that is the beginning of an ACSM evidence based library that will become available to the membership at some time in the future.
- NEW! The introduction of the Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type – Volume, or FITT-VP, principle of exercise prescription in Chapter 7. FITT boxes appear throughout the text.
- NEW! An expanded number of special populations in Chapter 10 because more information related to exercise testing, prescription, and special considerations of these new populations has become available since the publication of the eighth edition
- NEW! Addition of Chapter 11, Behavioral Theories and Strategies for Promoting Exercise, which addresses the challenges of exercise adherence
Table of Contents
SECTION I: HEALTH APPRAISAL AND RISK ASSESSMENTÂ
1 Benefits and Risks Associated with Physical Activity
2 Preparticipation Health Screening
SECTION II: EXERCISE TESTING
3 Preexercise Evaluation
4 Health-Related Physical Fitness Testing and Interpretation
5 Clinical Exercise Testing
6 Interpretation of Clinical Exercise Test Results
SECTION III: EXERCISE PRESCRIPTION
7 General Principles of Exercise Prescription
8 Exercise Prescription for Healthy Populations With Special Considerations and Environmental Considerations
9 Exercise Prescription For Patients With Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Disease
10 Exercise Prescription for Populations With Other Chronic Diseases and Health Conditions
11 Behavioral Theories and Strategies for Promoting Exercise
SECTION IV: APPENDICES
Appendix A Common Medications
Appendix B Medical Emergency Management
Appendix C Electrocardiogram Interpretation
Appendix D American College of Sports Medicine Certifications
Appendix E Contributing Authors to the Previous Two Editions