Designed for health care professionals in multiple disciplines and clinical settings, this comprehensive, evidence-based wound care text provides basic and advanced information on wound healing and therapies and emphasizes clinical decision-making. The text integrates the latest scientific findings with principles of good wound care and provides a complete set of current, evidence-based practices. This edition features a full color design with color images, a new chapter on burn management, and a new chapter on hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Technological advances covered include ultrasound for wound debridement, laser treatments, and a single-patient-use disposable device for delivering pulsed radio frequency.
- NEW! Chapter on burn management
- NEW! Chapter on hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- NEW! Full color design with full color images
- Chapter on wound pain management presents the latest evidence on wound pain as well as pharmaceutical and nonpharmaceutical wound pain interventions
- Chapter on negative pressure wound therapy sets forth step-by-step procedures that show how to use this therapy on many types of hard-to-heal wounds
- Coverage of technologic advances such as the use of ultrasound for wound debridement, laser, and a single patient use disposable device for delivering pulsed radio frequency provide the most current information available in the field
- A multidisciplinary team of authors and contributors present their various approaches and viewpoints in order to provide a variety of strategies and tactics for dealing with all types of wounds and all stages of wound care.
- Step-by-step wound care procedures help to confidently administer both standard and cutting-edge wound care interventions and therapies.
- Patient teaching guidelines highlight critical points that patients and caregivers need to understand.
- Clinical Wisdom within the chapters apply the material to a clinical setting.
- Clinical case studies at the end of each chapter show how to incorporate the information from the text into everyday practice.
Table of Contents
- PART I Introduction to Wound Care Diagnosis
- Chapter 1 The Wound Care Process
- Chapter 2 Skin and Soft Tissue Anatomy andWound Healing Physiology
- Chapter 3 Assessment of the Patient, Skin and Wound
- Chapter 4 Wound Measurements and Prediction of Healing
- Chapter 5 Tools to Measure Wound Healing
- Chapter 6 Vascular Assessment
- Chapter 7 Nutritional Assessment and Treatment
- PART II Management by Wound Etiology
- Chapter 8 Management of the Acute Surgical Wound
- Chapter 9 Management of Pressure Ulcers: Pathophysiology and Prevention
- Chapter 10 Management of Pressure by Therapeutic Positioning
- Chapter 11 Management and Diagnosis of Vascular Ulcers
- Chapter 12 Management of the Neuropathic Foot
- Chapter 13 Management of Common Foot Problems
- Chapter 14 Management of Malignant Cutaneous Wounds and Fistulas
- Chapter 15 Management of Burns
- Chapter 16 Management of Scar
- PART III Management by Wound Characteristics
- Chapter 17 Management of Necrotic Tissue
- Chapter 18 Management of Exudate and Infection
- Chapter 19 Management of Edema
- Chapter 20 Management of the Wound Environment with Dressings and Topical Agents
- Chapter 21 Management of the Wound Environment with Advanced Therapies
- Chapter 22 Management of Wound Pain
- PART IV Management of Wound Healing with Biophysical Agents
- Chapter 23 Electrical Stimulation for Wound Healing
- Chapter 24 Induced Electrical Stimulation: Pulsed Radio Frequency and Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields
- Chapter 25 Phototherapy in Wound Management
- Chapter 26 Therapeutic and Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Chapter 27 Hydrotherapy
- Chapter 28 Pulsatile Lavage with Suction
- Chapter 29 Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
- Chapter 30 Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Carrie Sussman DPT, PT Owner, Sussman Physical Therapy, Inc., Torrance, CA
Barbara Bates-Jensen PhD, RN, CWOCN Assistant Professor, UCLA School of Nursing, UCLA School of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Geriatric Research, Education Clinical Center, Reseda, CA