ACSM’s Resources for the Group Exercise Instructor gives you the knowledge and the skills you need to effectively lead group exercise. You’ll learn how to take advantage of group dynamics to improve health and well-being. You’ll also discover how to work with clients with special needs, so that everyone can safely benefit from group exercise. Moreover, the book shows how the skills you’ll gain can easily be adapted to different environments, including gyms, studios, recreational facilities, and clubs.
Developed by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), this book thoroughly prepares you to become an ACSM Certified Group Exercise Instructor. Following an introduction, which includes a profile of a group exercise instructor, the book covers such topics as leadership, class design, legal issues and responsibilities, and exercise science. The book’s accompanying video demonstrates how the techniques discussed in the book are put into practice during an actual group exercise class.
- Take Caution! boxes, throughout each chapter, call attention to information relating to safety or legal concerns.
- Chapter Objectives, in the beginning of each chapter, provide a quick overview of content to be covered.
- Numbered boxes expand on ideas and discussions covered throughout the text.
- Ask the Pro provide quotes and tips from celebrity trainers.
- Recommended Resources provide extra resources/tips on where to find pertinent information.
- Chapter Summary, provided at the end of each chapter, highlights the main points covered in the material.
- Video clips available on thePoint companion website are referenced in the text by an icon.
Table of Contents
Part I. Introduction to Group Exercise Instruction
- Chapter 1. Profile of a Group Exercise Instructor: Education, Credentials, Scope, and Responsibilities
- Chapter 2. Profile of a Group Exercise Participant: Health Screening Tools
Part II. Leadership and Design
- Chapter 3. Class Design and Programming
- Chapter 4. Communication Skills: Adherence and Motivation
- Chapter 5. Choreography, Cueing, and Music
- Chapter 6. Teaching Your Class
- Chapter 7. Hospitality and Conflict Resolution
- Chapter 8. Students with Special Concerns
- Chapter 9. Specialty Classes
- Chapter 10. Legal Issues and Responsibilities
Part III. Exercise Science for the Group Exercise Instructor
- Chapter 11. Exercise Physiology
- Chapter 12. Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Biomechanics
- Chapter 13. Introduction to Nutrition
- Appendix A. Sample Job Descriptions
- Appendix B. ACSM Certified Health
- Fitness Specialist Job Task Analysis
- ACSM's Group Exercise Instructor KSs/JTAs