1. Studying the Nervous System
Unit One: Neural Signaling
2. Electrical Signals of Nerve Cells
3. Voltage-Dependent Membrane Permeability
4. Ion Channels and Transporters
5. Synaptic Transmission
6. Neurotransmitters and Their Receptors
7. Molecular Signaling within Neurons
8. Synaptic Plasticity
Unit Two: Sensation and Sensory Processing
9. The Somatosensory System: Touch and Proprioception
11. Vision: The Eye
12. Central Visual Pathways
13. The Auditory System
14. The Vestibular System
15. The Chemical Senses
Unit Three: Movement and Its Central Control
16. Lower Motor Neuron Circuits and Motor Control
17. Upper Motor Neuron Control of the Brainstem and Spinal Cord
18. Modulation of Movement by the Basal Ganglia
19. Modulation of Movement by the Cerebellum
20. Eye Movements and Sensory Motor Integration
21. The Visceral Motor System
Four: The Changing Brain
22. Early Brain Development
23. Construction of Neural Circuits
24. Circuit Differentiation: Intrinsic Factors and Sex Differences
25. Modification of Neural Circuits as a Result of Experience
26. Repair and Regeneration in the Nervous System
Five: Complex Brain Functions and Cognitive Neuroscience
27. Cognitive Functions and the Organization of the Cerebral Cortex
28. Cortical States
29. Attention NEW
32. Thinking, Planning, and Deciding NEW
33. Speech and Language
34. Development and Evolution of Cognitive Functions NEW
Appendix: Survey of Human Neuroanatomy
Atlas: The Human Central Nervous System
This approachable volume guides students through the challenges and excitement - as well as the uncertainties - of neuroscience. Comprehensive and authoritative, this textbook provides a balance of animal and human studies to discuss the dynamic field of neuroscience from cellular signaling to cognitive function.
- Accessible - the text's length and writing style are a successful combination that has proven to work equally well for medical students and undergraduate neuroscience courses.
- Exceptional figures and visual program illustrate complex biological processes.
- Feature boxes throughout highlight key concepts.
New to this Edition
- Three new chapters on Attention (Ch. 29), Decision Making (Ch. 32), and Evolution of Cognitive Functions (Ch. 34) in a newly expanded Cognitive Neuroscience unit (Unit 5).
- Clinical Applications boxes show students how key concepts are applied in the field.
- Web Essays feature - available on the Companion Website - explore novel or historical topics in more depth.
- Fully updated section on neural signaling reflects recent developments in the field.
- Newly reorganized to enhance continuity of topic coverage.