About This Title
Nancy Leupold, herself a survivor, and president and founder of Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC), and James J. Sciubba present an overview of the different disciplines involved in the treatment of oral and head and neck cancer, with emphasis on providing information and “survivor tips” to help survivors cope with the disease, its treatment, and their consequential side effects.
This book takes a deliberately different stance and approach from other “survivor guides,” in that it concentrates on helping the individual who has completed treatment and is now on the road to recovery. Furthermore, it is unique in that it is attempting to meet the challenges of oral and head and neck cancer with specific information, in the form of lists and tables of products and suggestions. The editors enlist the help of expert physicians and other healthcare providers from major medical institutions in the United States who, collectively, aim to provide the answers to questions – from coping with side-effects, through clinical trials, to insurance issues.
The book is written to appeal both to individuals who are affected by oral and head and neck cancers as well as to the allied health professionals who need to have the answers to the many questions that arise.
For more information about Support for People with Head and Neck Cancer, please visit www.spohnc.org/.
- Introduction to the Challenges of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer
- Meeting the Challenges of Treatment Planning and Surgery for Head and Neck
Eugene N. Myers
- Meeting the Challenges of Radiation Therapy
David M. Brizel, Mary Ann Rubio, Gail Funk, Linda Gilliard
- Meeting the Challenges of Chemotherapy in the Treatment of Oral and Head
and Neck Cancer
Su Hsien Lim, Matthew Fury, David G. Pfister
- Meeting the Challenges of Good Oral Care in the Management of Head and
James J. Sciubba
- Meeting the Challenges of Targeted Cancer Therapy and Skin Care
Mario E. Lacouture
- Meeting the Challenges of Communication and Swallowing Disorders and Treatment
in Head and Neck Cancer
Bonnie Martin-Harris, Julie Blair
- Meeting the Challenges of Good Nutrition
- Meeting the Challenges of Insurance Issues
1. Health Insurance in the United States
Beth Darnley, Connie Slayton, Constance Goodman, Tanya Walker, Mary Giguere, Tami Lewis
2. Medically Necessary Dental Care
Mary Kaye Richter, Malinda Heuring
3. Everything You Need to Know About Obtaining Social Security Disability Benefits
Scott E. Davis
- Meeting the Challenges of Clinical Trials
1. Clinical Trials
Nancy E. Leupold
2. Finding a Clinical Trial to Meet Your Specific Needs
- Products, Therapies, and Survivor Input: Resources for Coping With the
Challenges of Side Effects of Treatment
Nancy E. Leupold
- Appendix: Programs of outreach and support, literature, Web sites, and organizations
About The Authors
Nancy Leupold, M.A. Awarded the American Head and Neck Society’s prestigious Presidential Citation, Nancy E. Leupold is the President and Founder of Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer, Inc. (SPOHNC). An oral cancer survivor herself, she serves and has served as a member of numerous medical boards, committees and panels related to head and neck cancer research and care.
Dr. James Sciubba has served as a full Professor in the Departments of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Pathology and Dermatology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and runs a private practice. With over thirty-five years of experience with oral and head and neck cancer patients as a clinician, he has published extensively in the areas of oral cancer, oral and salivary gland diseases, and jawbone pathology. Dr. Sciubba is currently Vice President of Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) and was instrumental in the founding of the organization in 1991.
Rodrigo Bayon, MD (Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine), Doody's Review Service, (2008): "This is an excellent resource for both patients and anyone involved in the care of head and neck cancer patients."
Primary Subject: Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery / General
Audience Level: Professional