This book addresses the "clinician side" of the therapeutic equation by spotlighting the interactional aspects of clinical work in speech-language pathology, and encourages the development of interactional skills and attitudes as the clinician gains experience. The method used to explore this topic is autoethnographic narrative, a commonly used tool in other disciplines including medicine - 'listening to patients' - and occupational therapy, but thus far rarely explored in speech-language pathology.
The first section of the book provides a conceptual and theoretical framework for the use of autoethnographic narratives, and synthesizes knowledge from narrative-based work that is relevant to clinical practice in speech-language pathology. Included are a series of autoethnographic narratives that describe important turning points in the author's own development as a clinician. By assuming that her own development as a clinician is typical, the author provides examples that can be discussed and reflected on so that professional growth can be fostered. The book concludes with a practical section on the use of narratives in clinical training, clinical practice, and professional development.
This book will be of value in professional issues courses for graduate students in speech-language pathology or related disciplines and because of its relatively new introduction to the field, it will also be of value to the experienced clinician for professional development.
Table of contents
Section 1: The Importance of Narrative
· Chapter 1: The Development of Identity and Expertise
· Chapter 2: Health, Healing, and Stories
· Chapter 3. Narrative-Based Practice
Section 2. Fundamentals of Narrative
· Chapter 4. Narrative Methods of Inquiry
· Chapter 5. Illness and Disability Narratives
· Chapter 6. Communication Disorders & Narrative
Section 3. Stories of a Clinical Life
· Chapter 7. God and Truth
· Chapter 8. Lunch Hour
· Chapter 9. Overheard on the Bus
· Chapter 10. The Optimist and the Fatalist
· Chapter 11. Bitter Memories
· Chapter 12. A Group of Life Stories
· Chapter 13. My clients, myself
Section 4. Using a Narrative Approach
· Chapter 14. The Development of the Clinician
· Chapter 15. The Growth of a Client