- Totally unique approach and no single competitor exists
- Covers every aspect of laryngology without bias on one particular aspect
- Designed specifically to meet student needs rather than trying to unsuccessfully
serve multiple audiences
This new textbook fills a void in laryngology education. Although many books focus on one or another aspect of laryngology, such as voice, swallowing, or airway problems, few cover the breadth of the discipline from a teaching standpoint. The editors sought collaboration from a broad range of international contributors in this text, which avoids the cover-all reference nature of extant texts, by having each contributor write in direct, consumable units for the reader, thus providing an ideal resource for both teaching and learning.
The text will appeal to all otolaryngologists in practice and medical students will find this mandatory reading for their laryngology education, either as otolaryngology residents or rotating medical students. Its accessible and unique design and layout deliberately avoids dense tracts of text through the liberal use of tables and figures, as well as bulleted points and review topics. Practicing laryngologists will also find the book accessible and invaluable to all members of their voice care teams.
Foreword by Michael S. Benninger, M.D.
Pretest in Laryngology
I. Developments in Laryngology
1. Historical Developments in Laryngology - Lee Akst, M.D. and Steve Zeitels, M.D.
2. Frontiers in Laryngology - Seth H. Dailey, M.D.
II. Anatomy and Physiology
3. Anatomy of the Larynx and Physiology of Phonation - Suzy DuFlo, M.D. and
Susan L. Thibeault, Ph.D.
4. Physiology of Airway Regulation - Christy L. Ludlow, Ph.D.
5. Physiology of Swallowing - Milan R. Amin, M.D. and Reena Gupta, M.D.
III. Diagnostic Procedures in Laryngology
6. Videostroboscopy - Nadine P. Connor, Ph.D. and Diane M. Bless, Ph.D.
7. Laryngeal High-Speed Digital Imaging and Kymography - Rita Patel, MS and Diane M. Bless, Ph.D.
8. Perceptual and Objective Voice Assessment - Claudio F. Milstein, Ph.D. and Douglas M. Hicks, Ph.D.
9. Laryngeal Electromyography - Nicole Maronian, M.D. and Lawrence Robinson, M.D.
10. Radiology of the Larynx - Soh Ping Eng, M.D., Georges Lawson, M.D., Thierry Vanderborght, M.D., Ph.D., Marc Remacle, M.D., Ph.D. and Marc LaCrosse, M.D.
11. Office-Based Examinations in Layngology—Including TNE, FEES, FEESST - Stacey L. Halum, M.D. and Gregory N. Postma, M.D.
IV. Principles of Therapy
12. Laryngeal Hygiene - Douglas M. Hicks, Ph.D. and Claudio F. Milstein, Ph.D.
13. Speech-Language Intervention—Voice Therapy - Sarah Marx Schneider, MS, CCC-SLP and Robert Thayer Sataloff, M.D., D.M.A.
14. General Principles of Microlaryngeal Surgery - Adam D. Rubin, M.D. and Robert
Thayer Sataloff, D.M.A. M.D.
15. Lasers in Laryngology - Robert A. Buckmire, M.D.
V. Disorders of the Larynx: Neurological Disorders
16. Voice and Speech Abnormalities in Systemic Neurodegenerative Disorders - Ted Mau, M.D. and Mark S. Courey, M.D.
17. Vocal Fold Paralysis - Tanya Meyer M.D., Lucian Sulica M.D., Andrew Blitzer M.D.
18. The Larynx in Parkinson’s Disease - Mona M. Abaza, M.D. and Jennifer Spielman, M.A., CCC-SLP
19. Essential Voice Tremor - Lucian Sulica, M.D. and Elan Louis, M.D., M.S.
20. Spasmodic Dysphonia - Joel H. Blumin, M.D. and Gerald S. Berke, M.D.
VI. Inflammatory and Structural Disorders
21. Localized Inflammatory Disorders of the Larynx - Natasha Mirza, M.D., F.A.C.S.
22. Systemic Inflammatory Disorders Affecting the Larynx - Felicia L. Johnson, M.D. and James W. Ragland, M.D.
23. Reflux and the Its Impact on Laryngology - Riitta Ylitalo M.D., Ph.D.
24. Benign Lesions of the Larynx - Timothy D. Anderson, M.D.
25. Malignant Neoplasms of the Larynx - Jason P. Hunt, M.D. and Andrew J. McWhorter, M.D.
26. Laryngotracheal Stenosis - Michael Pittman, M.D. and Robert H. Ossoff, M.D., D.M.D.
VI. Special Issues in Laryngology
27. Surgery for Swallowing Disorders and Aspiration - Albert L. Merati, M.D., F.A.C.S. and Sachin Pawar, BBA
28. Pediatric Laryngology - Dana Mara Thompson, M.D. and Joseph E. Kerschner, M.D.
29. Postlaryngectomy Speech Rehabilitation - Bruce H. Campbell, M.D., and Mary Brawley, M.A., CCC-SLP
30. Endocrine Disorders of the Larynx - Mai Thy Truong, M.D. and Edward J. Damrose, M.D.
31. Rhinological Disease and the Larynx - Kenneth W. Altman M.D., Ph.D.
A. Post-Test of Laryngology
B. Answers Keys for Pretest, Chapter Review Question, and Post-Test
ABOUT THE EDITORS
Albert L. Merati, M.D., F.A.C.S., is Associate Professor and Chief of the Division of Laryngology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Staff Surgeon at the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Steven A. Bielamowicz, M.D., F.A.C.S., is Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Division of Laryngology at The George Washington University.