Perioperative Blood Management is published jointly by AABB and the Society for the Advancement of Blood Management (SABM). It contains essential information for practitioners who recognize the duty to consider all alternatives in care, both to select transfusion and to avoid transfusion. The broad range of material discusses Jehovah’s Witness patients, acute normovolemic hemodilution, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, artificial oxygen carriers, recombinant Factor VIIa, anemia prevention and a host of other aspects of this growing field.
- Overview of blood management.
- Preoperative assessment and management.
- Intraoperative blood management.
- Adjunctive intraoperative therapies.
- Point-of-care testing.
- Postoperative blood management.
- Management of special patient populations.
The book concludes with helpful information on the organizations that are active in blood management or perioperative transfusion. It is small enough to fit in a lab coat pocket, yet comprehensive enough to answer many of the questions that arise in daily practice.