Drs. Russell Van Gelder and Anita Prasad have organized Review of Uveitis in a useful Q&A format, covering both basic mechanisms of ocular inflammation and specific clinical entities. The in-depth review answers provide focus on understanding disease processes, diagnosis, and treatment.
Some topics include:
- Basic mechanisms of ocular inflammation
- Signs, symptoms, and classification of uveitis
- Laboratory testing for uveitic disease
- Local and systemic treatments for all forms of uveitis
- Complications of uveitis
- Systemic disease associations of uveitic conditions
- Differential diagnosis of different presentations of uveitis
- Pars planitis and intermediate uveitis
- Infectious and autoimmune forms of posterior uveitis
- A review of the white dot syndromes
- User-friendly Q&A format, with chapters organized by topic
- Illustrations of disease processes and mechanisms, including many color photographs and diagrams
- Review of current recommendations regarding systemic and surgical treatment of uveitis
- Inclusion of over 200 clinically based questions ranging from basic to advanced
- In depth answers to most uveitis questions encountered by the comprehensive and specialty clinician
- Up-to-date primary literature references for each chapter
“This excellent new contribution to the ophthalmology literature provides a comprehensive discussion of uveitis in question and answer format with beautiful illustrations. The authors’ stated purpose is to “provide an interactive review guide for uveitis” and they definitely succeed in their goal with this book that encourages readers to think critically and answer questions. This book can provide important information on uveitis to those in training as well as to experienced ophthalmologists who would like an up-to-date review. It would also be very useful in preparation for the oral and written ophthalmology boards. This review of uveitis covers all topics and is well illustrated with color photographs and figures. The question and answer format is unique and one of its best features. The authors are extremely knowledgeable and excellent teachers. This unique book is an important addition to the literature. The question and answer format encourages readers to think critically and helps them retain the information. This is much more than an introductory book for students; it could be useful for ophthalmologists at any level of training. I would recommend it to any ophthalmologist.”
–Lili Grunwald, MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Doody Enterprises, Inc.
About the Authors
Russell N. Van Gelder, MD, PhD, earned his bachelor’s, PhD, and MD degrees from Stanford University. He completed his ophthalmology residency and uveitis and medical retina fellowships at Washington University in St. Louis. Author of over 100 papers and book chapters in ophthalmology and vision science, Dr. Van Gelder is presently the Boyd K. Bucey Professor and Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Washington Medical School in Seattle.
Anita G. Prasad, MD, graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in Religion. Dr. Prasad received her medical degree from Northwestern University Medical School. She completed a residency in ophthalmology and a fellowship in uveitis and ocular immunology at Washington University in St. Louis. She is currently completing a retina fellowship at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.