Strengthen and inform your monitoring and assessment skills, with the freshly updated Electronic Fetal Monitoring: Concepts and Applications, 3rd Edition.
Offering in-depth information on physiology, equipment, antepartum and intrapartum fetal assessment, electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) technology, and more, this essential resource empowers your critical thinking skills by demonstrating data interpretation with real-life case scenarios. Ideal as preparation for the NCC Credential in Inpatient Obstetric Nursing (RNC-OB) exam, this is a must-have for all obstetrics/gynecology nurses, nurse-midwives, and other health professionals performing EFM.
Develop seasoned, high-quality EFM skills and interpretations with:
- NEW end-of-chapter study questions that support retention of chapter content, and back-of-the-book answers—ideal for certification review
- New and updated fetal monitoring guidelines
- Content written and reviewed by OB/GYN nursing experts
- Completely illustrated with more than 170 EFM strips that demonstrate content with real-world examples—fetal electrocardiogram, raw waveform, waveform with filter applied, double-counting and half-counting’ maternal heart rate obtained with ultrasound transducer, fetal heart rate (FHR) tracings at different paper speeds, and more
- Demonstrates the workings of EFM equipment and technology—explaining trending of data, ultrasound workings, processes required to identify the factor of t in FHR = 60/t for external and internal monitoring, and more
- Concise, easy-to-follow how-to guidance on acquiring and assessing fetal heart rate data, monitoring uterine activity, and EFM strip interpretation
- Expert advice on handling EFM challenges such as signal acquisition problems, reconfiguring fetal monitor connections to retrieve various signals, adjusting the transducers or choosing another mode when clear signals are unavailable, and avoiding or remedying tachysystole
- Examples of algorithms for management of antepartum testing and of fetal heart rate baseline variability and
- Tables that outline specific interventions and their goals and rationales
- Topics that include maternal-fetal physiology of fetal heart rate patterns, fetal heart rate pattern interpretation and management guidelines, maternal oxygenation, uterine blood flow, chemoreceptors and baroreceptors, fetal heart rate pattern interpretation and rate baseline, unusual FHR patterns, three-tier fetal heart rate system of interpretation, antepartum fetal assessment, nonstress test, alternative approaches to competence validation, and more
- Chapter features that include short, helpful technical tips to help ensure accurate monitoring, interpretations, and troubleshooting
Your book purchase includes a complimentary download of the enhanced eBook for iOS™, Android™, PC, and Mac. Take advantage of these practical features that will improve your eBook experience:
- The ability to download the eBook on multiple devices at one time—providing a seamless reading experience online or offline
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that allow you to search within this book, or across your entire library of VitalSource eBooks
- Multiple viewing options that enable you to scale images and text to any size without losing page clarity, as well as responsive design
- The ability to highlight text and add notes with one click
About the Clinical Editors
Cydney Afriat Menihan, CNM, MSN, RDMS, is a Nurse Midwife and Perinatal Consultant in
Wakefield, Rhode Island.
Ellen Kopel, RNC, MS, is a Nurse Educator and Perinatal Consultant in Sarasota, Florida.