West�s Pulmonary Pathophysiology: The Essentials�offers accessible explanations of disease processes that affect the respiratory system. This best-selling companion to�West�s Respiratory Physiology, Tenth Edition,�has served generations of students. Dr. John B. West, together with new co-author Dr. Andrew M. Luks, presents the vital knowledge you need in a concise, straightforward manner that�s easy to understand.
- Learn the very latest�on COPD, asthma, restrictive lung disease, pulmonary hypertension, and much more.
- See how pathophysiology applies to clinical practice�with clinical vignettes in every chapter, followed by multiple-choice questions and answers to test your comprehension.
- Visualize concepts vividly�with the aid of new radiographs, CT images, and color photomicrographs.
- Study with ease�through abundant chapter outlines, Key Concepts boxes, bulleted review sections, and other helpful summaries.
- Prepare for exams�with 75 multiple-choice review questions, accompanied by answers and explanations, inside the book as well as in an Interactive Question Bank online.
John B West M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc
Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Physiology
School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA
Andrew M Luks M.D.
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Harborview Medical Center�
PART ONE:�� LUNG FUNCTION TESTS AND WHAT THEY MEAN
Chapter One: Ventilation
Chapter Two: Gas Exchange
Chapter Three: Other Tests
PART TWO:� FUNCTIONS OF THE DISEASED LUNG
Chaper Four: Obstructive Diseases
Chapter Five: Restrictive Diseases
Chapter Six: Vascular Diseases
Chapter Seven: Environmental, Neoplastic, and Infectious Diseases
PART THREE: FUNCTION OF THE FAILING LUNG
Chapter Eight: Respiratory Failure
Chapter Nine: Oxygen Therapy
Chapter Ten: Mechanical Ventilation
Appendix A: Symbols, Units, and Normal Values
Appendix B: Further Reading
Appendix C: Answers to Chapter Questions
Appendix D: Answers to Questions in Clinical Vignettes