The new edition of Plowman and Smith�s renowned text continues to the authoritative textbook for teaching Exercise Physiology.� This engaging and beautifully designed text integrates theoretical� and research based basic exercise physiology with real-world application to prepare students for exciting positions in exercise science, fitness, physical education, athletic training, rehabilitation, coaching and/or allied health professions.
Accessible and engaging, the 5th Edition offers coverage of foundational science and critical exercise physiology topics. Organized by independent units (Metabolic, Cardiovascular-respiratory, Neuromuscular-skeletal, and Neuroendocrine-immune) this text offers maximumteaching flexibility for faculty and consistent presentation of material for the student.
- A consistent pedagogical approach�in each unit ensures that basic concepts are presented first so that application that follows can more easily be understood.
- Integrated coverage of both sexes and all ages, including the exercise responses of females vs males, children and adolescents vs adults, and older vs younger adults to reflect real-world situations and allow for appropriate application of exercise principles.
- Engaging writing and rich illustrations�that explain foundational science and relevant research to help students apply learning to real life examples.
- Expanded�Check Your Comprehension�features�now include�case studies�(at least one in every chapter) that engage the student as an active learner to link content to practice.
- Focus on Research�boxes�expose students to classic studies, particularly relevant research, and new discoveries in the field.
- Focus on Application�boxes�help students relate basic concepts to clinical situations.
- Exercise icons and color coding within figures�represent specific exercise response patterns and allow for quick recognition of conditions.
- A vibrant art program�provides a visually engaging experience for students.
- Definition boxes�appear on the same page as key terms to help students master the vocabulary of the field.
- In-book learning aids,�including chapter objectives, chapter summaries, and chapter review questions, enhance learning and recall
- Online animations and videos�called out in the text direct students to engaging, interactive online learning resources.