Published by the American College of Sports Medicine, this new edition is essential for certification candidates and practicing Exercise Physiologists. As the official preparation book for the ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist examination, the title will guide those seeking certification as they prepare to sit for the exam. For those already practicing, this evidence-based resource will aid in providing the most current, competent guidance to clients.
Now fully aligned with the tenth edition of ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, this second edition is reflective of the most current standards in the field. These updates include moving to the new pre-participation guidelines, which represent an important and significant change in the prescription of an exercise program. Incorporating ACSM's Exercise is Medicine® global health initiative throughout this text prepares the EP-C to become uniquely qualified to work with medical professionals to ensure that all patients and clients are participating in a physical activity program.
Organized around the scope of ACSM EP-C practice domains, ACSM's Resources for the Exercise Physiologist includes an introductory section focusing on understanding exercise, physical activity, and pre-exercise screening. Coverage of assessment and programming for both healthy and special populations and extensive content about behavior change allows the EP-C to provide program options for varying types of clients. Finally, this text covers the ethics, legal issues, and business of fitness management.
- A NEW chapter entitled “Functional Movement Assessments and Exercise Programming for Apparently Healthy Participants” in part II adds critical detail for those preparing an exercise prescription.
- Additional content and updates add increased focus on behavior change to reflect the most current trends in the field.
- NEW information on peripheral artery disease increases the relevance of this title to those working in a medical setting.
- How To boxes provide step-by-step instructions for assessments encountered by the Health Fitness Specialist.
- Exercise is Medicine boxes describe research about the role of exercise in improving health.
- Extensive Case Studies detail real-life situations faced by Health Fitness Specialist and how to best address them.
- Study Questions at the end of each chapter are directly related to the Chapter Objectives.
- Icons in select chapters direct the reader to relevant online videos.
- Student and instructor resources, including fully searchable online text, videos, a test generator, PowerPoint presentations, and an image bank.