Preoperative imaging is increasingly being adopted for preoperative planning in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Accurate preoperative analysis can reduce the length of operations and maximize surgical design and dissection techniques.
Imaging for Plastic Surgery covers the techniques, applications, and potentialities of medical imaging technology in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Presenting state-of-the-art research on evolving imaging modalities, this cutting-edge text:
- Provides a practical introduction to imaging modalities that can be used during preoperative planning
- Addresses imaging principles of the face, head, neck, breast, trunk, and extremities
- Identifies the strengths and weaknesses of all available imaging modalities
- Demonstrates the added value of imaging in different clinical scenarios
Comprised of contributions from world-class experts in the field, Imaging for Plastic Surgery is an essential imaging resource for surgeons, radiologists, and patient care professionals.
- Covers the techniques, applications, and potentialities of medical imaging technology in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Presents state-of-the-art research on evolving imaging modalities
- Contains contributions from world-class experts in the field
Table of Contents
- Computed Tomography; Michele Anzidei, Federica Ciolina, Fulvio Zaccagna, Alessandro Napoli, and Carlo Catalano
- MRI Physics Principles; Marta Tomás Mallebrera and Ángeles Franco López
- Diagnostic Ultrasound; Alberto Benito, David Cano, Mariana Elorz, and Pedro Slon
- Nuclear Medicine; Alessandra Serra and Mario Piga
- Mammography; Luis Pina Insauti, Jon Etxano Cantera, Pedro Slon, and Arlette Elizalde
- PET-CT in Oncology; Anna Margherita Maffione, Sotirios Chondrogiannis, Adriano Marcolongo, and Domenico Rubello
- Sentinel Node Biopsy: An Evolution of the Science and Surgical Principles; Ramin Shayan, Hayley Reynolds, Cara Michelle Le Roux, and Tara Karnezis
- Free Flap Revascularisation Process; Emanuele Cigna, Federico Lo Torto, Alessandro Napoli, Jiri Vesely, and Diego Ribuffo
- Application of Virtual 3D Plastic Surgery; Alberto Alonso-Burgos, Vachara Niumsawatt, and Warren M. Rozen
- Digital Thermographic Photography for Preoperative Perforator Mapping; Vachara Niumsawatt, Warren M. Rozen, and Iain S. Whitaker
- Stereotactic Image-Guided Surgery; Vachara Niumsawatt, Warren M. Rozen, Mark W. Ashton, Alberto Alonso-Burgos, and Iain S. Whitaker
- Lymphatics: Anatomy, Mapping, and Evolving Imaging Technologies; Ramin Shayan, Iain S. Whitaker, Cara Michelle Le Roux, and Tara Karnezis
- Vascular Anomalies in Children: Tumours and Vascular Malformations; Luigino Santecchia, Piergiorgio Falappa, and Mario Zama
- Imaging and Surgical Principles for Maxillary Reconstruction; Riccardo Cipriani, Rossella Sgarzani, Luca Negosanti, Achille Tarsitano, Claudio Marchetti, and Emilia Pascali
- Imaging for Jaw Reconstruction; Fu-Chan Wei, et al.
- Imaging in Surgical Strategies for Facial Reconstruction; Francesco Stagno d’Alcontres, Gabriele Delia, Flavia Lupo, Marcello Longo, Francesca Granata, and Philippe Pelissier
- Imaging and Surgical Strategies for Cutaneous Neoplasm of the Scalp; Luca Andrea Dessy, Matteo Atzeni, Andrea Conversi, Luca Saba, Manfredi Greco, and Diego Ribuffo
- Surgical Strategies and Imaging for Regional Flaps in the Head and Neck; Gary Xia Vern Tan, Warren M. Rozen, Vachara Niumsawatt, Alberto Alonso-Burgos, and Edmund W. Ek
- Imaging for Recipient Vessels of the Head and Neck for Microvascular Transplantation; Gary Xia Vern Tan, Warren M. Rozen, Vachara Niumsawatt, Alberto Alonso-Burgos, and Edmund W. Ek
- Imaging and Surgical Principles for pTRAM Breast Reconstruction; Diego Ribuffo, Matteo Atzeni, Maristella Guerra, and Luca Saba
- Angio-CT Imaging of Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery and Deep Superior Epigastric Artery Perforators; Vachara Niumsawatt, Warren M. Rozen, Mark W. Ashton, Iain S. Whitaker, Emilio García-Tutor, and Alberto Alonso-Burgos
- MR Imaging of Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery and Deep Superior Epigastric Artery Perforators; Vachara Niumsawatt, Alberto Alonso-Burgos, Iain S. Whitaker, and Warren M. Rozen
- Surgical Principles of Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery and Deep Superior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap; Vachara Niumsawatt, Mark W. Ashton, Warren M. Rozen, and Iain S. Whitaker
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of the Superficial Inferior Epigastric Artery Flap; Mark Schaverien
- Surgical Principles and Breast Imaging and Monitoring after Autologous Fat Transfer; Paolo Persichetti, Barbara Cagli, Tiziano Pallara, Donata Maria Antonia Assunta Vaccaro, Carlo Augusto Mallio, and Bruno Beomonte Zobel
- Surgical Principles and Imaging of Breast Implants and Their Follow-Up; Luca Andrea Dessy, Nefer Fallico, Gloria Pasqua Fanelli, Carlo De Masi, Luca Saba, Diego Ribuffo, and Nicolò Scuderi
- Lymphatic Imaging of the Breast: Evolving Technologies and the Future; Jaume Masia, Gemma Pons, Maria Luisa Nardulli, Juan Angel Clavero, Xavier Alomar, and Joan Duch Renom
- Breast Imaging for Aesthetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery; Jeremy Nickfarjam, Oren M. Tepper, and Nolan S. Karp
- Imaging for Incisional Median Abdominal Wall Hernias; Pietro Giorgio Calò, Giuseppe Pisano, Luca Saba, Matteo Atzeni, Fabio Medas, and Angelo Nicolosi
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of Perforator Flaps of the Trunk; Michel Saint-Cyr
- Phalloplasty in Female-to-Male Sex Reassignment Surgery; Alberto Alonso-Burgos, Vachara Niumsawatt, and Warren M. Rozen
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of the Gluteal Arteries and Perforator Flaps; Julie V. Vasile, Maria M. Lotempio, and Robert J. Allen
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of the Anterolateral Thigh Perforator Flap; Diego Ribuffo, Emanuele Cigna, Luca Saba, Francesco Serratore, and Arianna Milia
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of the Anteromedial Thigh Perforator Flap; Emanuele Cigna, Michele Maruccia, Alessandro Napoli, and Hung-Chi Chen
- Imaging and Surgical Principles for Tensor Fascia Lata Flap; Ömer Özkan, Özlenen Özkan, Ahmet Duymaz, Kamil Karaali, and Can Çevikol
- Surgical Principles of Deep Circumflex Iliac Artery; Warren M. Rozen, Mark W. Ashton, Vachara Niumsawatt, Alberto-Alonso Burgos, Iain S. Whitaker, and Jeannette W. Ting
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of the Propeller and Perforator Flaps of the Lower Limb; Emanuele Cigna, Michele Maruccia, Alessandro Napoli, Federico Lo Torto, Paola Parisi, and Diego Ribuffo
- Lymphoscintigraphy for Extremities’ Oedemas and for Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in Cutaneous Melanomas of the Torso; Giuliano Mariani, Paola A. Erba, Gianpiero Manca, Luisa Locantore, Federica Orsini, Sara Mazzarri, Valerio Duce, Manuel Tredici, and Elisa Tardelli
- Nuclear Medicine as an Aid to Minimally Invasive Surgery, with Emphasis on Hybrid SPECT/CT Imaging; Federica Orsini, Alessandra Serra, Mario Piga, and Giuliano Mariani
- Preoperative Imaging for Reconstruction of the Lower Extremities; Hidehiko Yoshimatsu and Takumi Yamamoto
- Imaging and Surgical Principles in Hand Surgery; Giorgio Pajardi
- Imaging and Surgical Principles of Osteomyelitis and Pressure Ulcers; B. Carlesimo, M. Ruggiero, Federico Lo Torto, and M. Marcasciano
Luca Saba works at the Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria (AOU) of Cagliari, Italy. His research is focused on neuroradiology, multi-detector-row computed tomography, magnetic resonance, ultrasound, and diagnostic in vascular sciences. Widely published in numerous peer-reviewed journals, he has edited 5 books, written 7 book chapters, presented more than 400 papers in National and International Congress (RSNA, ESGAR, ECR, ISR, AOCR, AINR, JRS, SIRM, AINR), and won 6 scientific and extracurricular awards. He is a member of the Italian Society of Radiology (SIRM), European Society of Radiology (ESR), Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), and European Society of Neuroradiology (ESNR).
Warren M. Rozen combines clinical practice in plastic and reconstructive surgery with translational research as an assistant professor at Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia. He holds an MBBS, PGDipSurgAnat, BMedSc, and Ph.D from the University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia, and an MD from James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia. Widely published and a popular invited keynote and guest speaker, he is the senior author and/or editor of 20 textbooks in reconstructive surgery and the recipient of more than 60 awards for his work. He holds editorial board positions on 9 international journals including the Annals of Plastic Surgery and Microsurgery and Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
Alberto Alonso-Burgos, MD, Ph.D, is a consultant radiologist in the Vascular and Interventional Radiology Unit at University Hospital Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid, Spain. He completed all his medical training (MD 2003, Ph.D 2009, and diagnostic radiology residency 2008) at the University of Navarra and Clinic University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain. His research has been focused on CT and MRI angiography for reconstructive surgery and preoperative 3D planning as well as oncologic interventional radiology. He has published more than 25 papers and 10 book chapters, and has edited textbooks including this first general imaging text for reconstructive plastic surgery.
Prof. Diego Ribuffo is a European board-certified plastic surgeon, and combines clinical practice with teaching and research at Sapienza University in Rome, Italy. His main clinical interests are reconstructive microsurgery and breast surgery. He has authored more than 200 publications, 2 books, and has given more than 100 presentations at national and international meetings. He has won several scientific prizes, and is on the editorial board of two international journals. After completing two fellowships in Atlanta and Melbourne, and being associate professor for eight years at Cagliari University, he is now back in his home university, where he currently serves as associate professor in plastic surgery in the Department of Surgery "P Valdoni".