This best-selling book provides you with a comprehensive guide to the diagnostic applications of exfoliative and aspiration cytology. The book takes a systemic approach and covers the recognized normal and abnormal cytological findings encountered in a particular organ. Appropriate histopathological correlations and a consideration of the possible differential diagnosis accompany the cytological findings. The book is lavishly illustrated, making it the perfect practical resource for daily reference in the laboratory.
- Provides an accessible guide to diagnostic investigation and screening.
- Includes a summary of major diagnostic criteria and discusses the pitfalls and limitations of cytology.
- Utilizes a consistent chapter structure to make finding the answers you need quick and easy.
New To This Edition:
- Provides updates to crucial chapters to keep you on top of the latest diagnosis and techniques.
- Access the full text online and download images from Expert Consult for use in electronic presentations.
- Incorporates differential diagnosis tables for easy comparison/contrast of diagnoses.
- Offers more than 1800 full-color images depicting a full range of normal and abnormal findings.
- Discusses new concepts on molecular basis of neoplasia.
- Explores the role of cytogenetics in cancer development.
Table of Contents:
PART I GENERAL CYTOLOGY
- Chapter 1 The Cell: Basic Structure, Function and Molecular Basis of Neoplasia, Magnus von Knebel Döberitz, M.D., Nicolas Wentzensen, MD
- Chapter 2 Basic Cytogenetics and the Role of Genetics in Cancer Development, Alain Verhest, M.D., Ph.D., FIAC, Pierre Heimann, M.D., Ph.D.
- Chapter 3 Cytologic Screening Programs, Luiz Martins Collaco, M.D., Lucilia Zardo, M.D.
- Chapter 4 Diagnostic Quality Assurance in Cytopathology: CLIA ’88 Requirements, Marluce Bibbo, M.D., Sc.D., F.I.A.C., FASCP, Catherine M. Keebler, C.F.I.A.C., Sc.D., (hon.)
- Chapter 5 Evaluation of the Sample in Smears and Liquid-Based Preparations, Marluce Bibbo, M.D., Sc.D., F.I.A.C., FASCP, Joseph Nasuti, M.D.
PART II DIAGNOSTIC CYTOLOGY
Section A Female Genital Tract
- Chapter 6 The Bethesda System, Ritu Nayar, M.D., David Wilbur, M.D.
- Chapter 7 Microbiology, Inflammation and Viral Infections, Prabodh K. Gupta, M.D., F.I.A.C., Cindy McGrath, M.D.
- Chapter 8 Benign Proliferative Reactions, Intraepithelial Neoplasia and Invasive Cancer of the Uterine Cervix, G. Peter Vooijs, M.D., Ph.D., F.I.A.C., Anniek J.M. van Aspert – van Erp, Ph.D., CFIAC, Johan Bulten, MD, PhD, MIAC
- Chapter 9 Glandular Neoplasms of the Uterine Cervix, David Wilbur, M.D.
- Chapter 10 Endometrial Hyperplasia and Carcinoma, Extrauterine Cancer and Unusual Tumors, Terence Colgan, M.D., C. Meg McLachlin, M.D.
- Chapter 11 Vulva, Vagina and Anus, Fadi W. Abdul-Karim, M.D., Theresa M. Somrak, J.D., C.T. (A.S.C.P.), C.F.I.A.C., Bin Yang, M.D, Ph.D.
- Chapter 12 Peritoneal Washings and Ovary, Marluce Bibbo, M.D., Sc.D., F.I.A.C., FASCP, Moira D. Wood, M.D., Brendan T. Fitzpatrick M.D.
Section B Cytology of Other Body Sites
- Chapter 13 Respiratory Tract, William W. Johnston, M.D., F.I.A.C., Craig E. Elson, M.D., FCAP
- Chapter 14 Alimentary Tract (Oral Cavity, Esophagus, Stomach, Biliary Tract, Colon,Rectum), Kim R. Geisinger, M.D., FCAP, Simon Bergman, M.D.
- Chapter 15 Urinary Tract, Marluce Bibbo, M.D., Sc.D., F.I.A.C., FASCP, William H. Kern, M.D., F.I.A.C.
- Chapter 16 Central Nervous System, Sandra H. Bigner, M.D., Alicia Carter , M.D.
- Chapter 17 Eye, Kiran Narsinh, M.D., Diane B. Mandell, C.T. (A.S.C.P.),
C.F.I.A.C., Ben J. Glasgow, M.D.
Chapter 18 Skin, Soft Tissue and Bone,
Oscar Lin, M.D., Ph.D., Maureen F. Zakowski, M.D., FCAP
- Chapter 19 Pleural, Peritoneal and Pericardial Fluids, Bernard Naylor, M.B., Ch.B., F.I.A.C.
Section C Fine Needle Aspiration of Various Organs and Body Sites
- Chapter 20 FNA Technique, William J. Frable, M.D., FCAP
- Chapter 21 Imaging Techniques, Christopher Merritt, M.D.
- Chapter 22 Salivary Glands and Rare Head and Neck Lesions, Edneia Miyki Tani, M.D., Ph.D., Lambert Skoog, M.D., Ph.D.
- Chapter 23 Thyroid, Hugo Galera-Davidson, M.D., F.I.A.C., F.R.C., Ricardo Gonzalez-Campora, M.D., F.I.A.C.
- Chapter 24 Lymph Nodes and Flow Cytometry, Nancy A. Young, M.D., Tahseen Al-Saleem, M.D.
- Chapter 25 Breast, Professor Reda Saad, Jan F. Silverman, M.D., FCAP
- Chapter 26 Mediastinum , Wai-Kuen Ng, MBBS, FRCPA, FHKCPath, FHKAM (Pathology), FIAC
- Chapter 27 Kidney, Adrenal and Retroperitoneum, Ruth L. Katz, M.D., Savitri Krishnamurthy M.D.
- Chapter 28 Liver and Pancreas, Liang-Che Tao, M.D., F.R.C.P.C., Grace C. H. Yang, M.D., FIAC
- Chapter 29 Pediatric Tumors, Jose A. Schalper, M.D., MIAC
- Section D Effects of Therapy on All Body Sites
- Chapter 30 Effects of Therapy on Cytologic-Specimens, Larry F. Kluskens, M.D.
Part III SPECIAL TECHNIQUES IN CYTOLOGY
- Chapter 31 Cytopreparatory Techniques, Catherine M. Keebler, C.F.I.A.C., Sc.D., (hon.), Michael S. Facik, MPA, CT (ASCP), CFIAC
- Chapter 32 Light Optical Microscopy, Peter H. Bartels, Ph.D.
- Chapter 33 Virtual Microscopy, Katharina Glatz, M.D.
- Chapter 34 Automation of Pap Smears, David Wilbur, M.D., Marluce Bibbo, M.D., Sc.D., F.I.A.C., FASCP
- Chapter 35 Immunocytochemistry, Mamatha Chivukula,M.D., David J. Dabbs, M.D.
- Chapter 36 Molecular Techniques, Lukas Bubendorf, M.D., Hans Jurgen Grote,M.D., Kari Syrjanen, MD, PhD, FIAC
By Marluce Bibbo, MD, ScD, FIAC, The Warren R. Lang Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA Professor and David Wilbur, MD, Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Associate Professor of Pathology Harvard Medical School; Director Cytopathology Massachusetts General Hospital