In a single, convenient volume, Pediatric Endocrinology offers complete coverage of all aspects of basic science and clinical practice, ideal for both pediatricians and endocrinologists. Pediatric endocrinology expert Dr. Mark Sperling teams up with world-renowned authors to bring you up to date with the latest key developments in every area of the field, providing invaluable guidance on how your clinical decision making will be affected by today’s technological and scientific advances. The user-friendly text is enhanced by all-new online access to the complete contents of the book and more.
- Determine the best possible course for every patient with easy-to-follow algorithms in every clinical chapter.
New To This Edition:
- Stay up to date with today’s hottest topics, including neonatal diabetes mellitus, Type II childhood diabetes, molecular endocrinology, and genetics.
- Explore the impact of today’s advances and challenges, including explosive growth in molecular biology, sophisticated imaging techniques, and an increase in both pediatric diabetes and obesity.
- NEW! Access the fully searchable contents of the book and new self-assessment questions online at Expert Consult.
- Quickly access the information you need with a new, streamlined organization (Concepts, Endocrine Disorders of the Newborn, Endocrine Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence, and Laboratory Tests and Imaging).
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 Molecular Endocrinology and Endocrine Genetics, Ram K. Menon, MD
• Massimo Trucco, MD • Constantine A. Stratakis, MD, DSC
Chapter 2 Receptor Transduction of Hormone Action, Alan M. Rice, MD • Scott A. Rivkees, MD
Chapter 3 Disorders of Bone Mineral Metabolism: Normal Homeostasis, Allen W. Root, MD
Chapter 4, Ambiguous Genitalia, Selma Feldman Witchel, MD • Peter A. Lee, MD, PHD
Chapter 5 Hypoglycemia in Neonates and Infants, Diva D. De León, MD • Charles A. Stanley, MD • Mark A. Sperling, MD
Chapter 6 Disorders of the Thyroid in the Newborn and Infant, Delbert A. Fisher, MD • Annette Grueters, MD
Chapter 7 Thyroid Disorders in Childhood and Adolescence, Delbert A. Fisher, MD • Annette Grueters, MD
Chapter 8 Disorders of Growth Hormone/Insulin-like Growth Factor Secretion and Action, Ron G. Rosenfeld, MD • Pinchas Cohen, MD
Chapter 9 Disorders of the Posterior Pituitary, Louis J. Muglia, MD, PHD • Joseph A. Majzoub, MD
Chapter 10 Diabetes Mellitus, Mark A. Sperling, MD • Stuart A. Weinzimer, MD • William V. Tamborlane, MD
Chapter 11 Hypoglycemia in the Infant and Child, David R. Langdon, MD • Charles A. Stanley, MD • Mark A. Sperling, MD
Chapter 12 The Adrenal Cortex and its Disorders, Walter L. Miller, MD • John C. Achermann, MD • Christa E. Flück, MD
Chapter 13 Pheochromocytoma and the Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndromes, Steven D. Chernausek, MD • Charis Eng, MD, PHD
Chapter 14 Puberty and Its Disorders in the Female, Robert L. Rosenfield, MD • David W. Cooke, MD • Sally Radovick, MD
Chapter 15 Turner Syndrome, Paul Saenger, MD
Chapter 16 The Testes: Disorders of Sexual Differentiation and Puberty in the Male, Ieuan A. Hughes, MD, FRCP
Chapter 17 Disorders of Mineral Homeostasis in the Newborn, Infant, Child, and Adolescent, Allen W. Root, MD • Frank B. Diamond, JR., MD
Chapter 18 Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndromes, Michael J. Haller, MD • William E. Winter, MD Desmond A. Schatz, MD
Chapter 19 Disorders of Energy Balance, Robert H. Lustig, MD • Ram Weiss, MD3
Chapter 20 Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents, Sarah C. Couch, PHD, RD • Steven Daniels, MD, PHD
Chapter 21 Laboratory Methods in Pediatric Endocrinology, Robert Rapaport, MD • Russell Grant, PHD • Sharon J. Hyman, MD • Mark Stene, PHD
By Mark A. Sperling, MD, Professor and Chair Emeritus, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine; Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes Mellitus, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania