Learn how to make sound ethical and legal decisions in practice with ETHICS AND LAW IN DENTAL HYGIENE, Second Edition. This book is written in the context of "real-world" situations that you will encounter on a regular basis in dental hygiene practice. The book is divided into three sections: ethics, law, and simulations and applications. The latter section contains 25 case studies with accompanying discussion and thought questions, along with testlets that mirror the style of the newly revised National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE) and suggested activities. Appendixes include the recently revised American Dental Association (ADA) and American Dental Hygiene Association (ADHA) respective codes of ethics, making this the most up-to-date ethics book for dental hygiene currently on the market. With this expert guidance, you'll be prepared to take the NBDHE and address ethical dilemmas in everyday practice.
- Dental hygiene-focused coverage highlights need-to-know concepts and information.
- Content organization with separate sections on ethics, law, and the application of both builds a logical and solid foundation for practical application.
- Real-world relevance helps you confidently manage the realities of clinical practice.
- Case applications explore the types of ethical and legal dilemmas dental hygienists commonly encounter.
- Key vocabulary defines terms that may be complex and new.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Updated coverage addresses timely issues such as alternative workforce models, the Affordable Care Act, professionalism, and more.
- NEW! Expanded art program visually supports key content.
- NEW! Expanded case studies help you put material into practice with realistic scenarios.
- NEW! Additional testlets double the amount of board preparation material.
By Phyllis L. Beemsterboer, RDH, MS, EdD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Professor of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
Section I - Ethics
1. Ethics and Professionalism
2. Ethical Theory and Philosophy
3. Ethical Principles and Values
4. Social Responsibility
5. Codes of Ethics
Appendix 5-1: American Dental Hygienists' Association Code of Ethics for Dental Hygienists
6. Ethical Decision Making in Dental Hygiene and Dentistry
Section II - Law
7. Society and the State Dental Practice Act
8. Dental Hygienist-Patient Relationship
9. Dental Hygienist-Dentist-Employer Relationship
10. Risk Management
Section III - Simulations and Applications
Case Studies, Activities, and Testlets
Appendix A: American Dental Association Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct
Bibliography and Suggested Readings