Successfully diagnose the full spectrum of thyroid neoplasia with Thyroid Cytopathology: A Text and Atlas! In this trusted pathology reference, readers are provided with the most comprehensive, authoritative coverage on the evaluation of thyroid fine-needle biopsy specimens available in one source. The text discusses everything from basic cytopathology concepts, fine-needle aspiration biopsy techniques, and cytopreparation through the interpretation of the complete range of cytology findings, ancillary diagnostic techniques, and the application of pathology reports to management decisions. With Thyroid Cytopathology: A Text and Atlas, you can confidently identify even the most challenging specimens in a timely manner in order to optimize clinical response.
- Effectively interpret the newer liquid-based cytologic preparationsof thyroid aspirates, as well as the traditional wet-fixed Papanicolaou-stained and air-dried Romanowski-stained preparations, with richly illustrated, in-depth coverage of all these approaches.
- Apply the latest molecular diagnostic techniques for evaluating follicular/Hürthle cell lesions of the thyroid gland, prognostication of papillary thyroid carcinomas, and other difficult challenges.
- Obtain balanced guidance on ultrasound-guided FNA biopsy with contributions from both radiologists and endocrinologists.
- Recognize essential clinical features by comparing your specimens to more than 1,700 full-color photomicrographs that depict the full range of fine needle aspiration biopsy findings, including unusual as well as typical patterns.
- Avoid diagnostic pitfalls with an emphasis on overlapping patterns and differential diagnosis.
Now with the print edition, enjoy the bundled interactive eBook edition, offering tablet, smartphone, or online access to:
- Complete content with enhanced navigation
- A powerful search that pulls results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
- Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
- Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use
Table Of Contents
2. Techniques of Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy of Thyroid Radiologic Techniques and Findings
3. Cytopreparatory Techniques
4. Specimen Adequacy and Assessment, Reporting Scheme
Appendix to Chapter 4: Classification of Thyroid Tumors
5. Concepts Basic to Thyroid Cytopathology and Guidelines for Evaluating Thyroid Fine Needle Aspirates
6. Nodular Goiter
7. Follicular Neoplasms
8. Hürthle Cell Lesions
9. Papillary Carcinoma
10. Poorly Differentiated (Insular) Carcinoma
11. Anaplastic Carcinoma
12. Medullary Carcinoma
14. Malignant Lymphoma
15. Thyroid Carcinoma Metastatic to Other Body Sites
16. Metastatic Malignancy to the Thyroid
17. Cysts and Cystic Lesions of the Thyroid
18. Spindle Cells in Thyroid Aspirates
19. Miscellaneous Lesions of the Thyroid
20. Post Fine Needle Biopsy Infarction of Thyroid Neoplasms
21. Lesions of the Parathyroid Glands
22. Ancillary Diagnostic Techniques
23. Application of Needle Biopsy Data to Management Decisions: Endocrinologists' Perspective
Application of Needle Biopsy Data to Management Decisions: Surgeons' Perspective
Sudha R. Kini MD
Division Head, Cytopathology, Department of Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI