Prepare your students for effective nursing practice in Canadian healthcare
settings with Canadian Maternity, Newborn, & Women’s Health Nursing,
2e. Offering up-to-date research and content, this practical book covers all
stages of maternity nursing from preconception to postpartum, as well as women’s
health issues throughout the lifespan, including health promotion, nutrition,
medical issues, psychosocial issues, sexuality, family, fertility, menopause,
and aging. Focusing on evidence-based practice and clinical application, the
text helps students prepare for effective maternity and women’s health
nursing in today’s multifaceted health care environment.
Updated for currency and accuracy and filled with new art and photographs, the Second Edition includes even more content specific to Canadian nursing, adds more depth and critical thinking elements to each chapter’s progressive case studies, and provides an expanded array of online resources, including assignments, activities, and case studies that help students understand and safely practice maternity nursing in the Canadian health care system.
- PowerPoint presentations assist in integrating the textbook with your students’ classroom experience, via either handouts or slide shows.
- A revised Test Bank with five new questions per chapter speeds test preparation.
- Learning Objectives for each chapter provide a valuable checklist for assessing student mastery of key content.
- Answers to Questions in the Book are provided for your convenience, as well as in an appendix in the book.
- Strategies for Effective Teaching provide tips for teaching the course.
- Blackboard-ready materials work effectively with your class management system.
- Assignments (and suggested answers) including group, written, clinical, and Web assignments, provides you with a wealth of assignment material to choose from.
- A complete image bank enhances lecture and exam preparation.
- Journal Articles offer access to research available in LWW journals.
- Case Studies with questions (via interactive module) can be assigned to give students practice applying concepts to real world situations.
- Maternity Video Clips bring concepts to life.
- Reference links for every chapter facilitate further exploration of key research.
- A complete eBook of the text offers anytime, anywhere search capability.
- Watch & View Video Clips reinforce skills from the textbook and appeal to visual and auditory learners.
- Learning Objectives for every chapter help students gauge their mastery of key content.
- Monographs of Commonly Prescribed Drugs provide vital, up-to-date information.
- Journal Articles offer access to current research available in LWW journals.
- NEW! Progressive Case Studies now offer more depth, new critical thinking questions, and new end-of-chapter case review questions.
- NEW! Even more Canadian content is integrated into the text.
- NEW! Additional art and images enhance student understanding.
- NEW! Additional Canadian-specific online resources have been added to the robust instructor and student teaching and learning package.
- UPDATED! The most recent prenatal nutrition guidelines, contraception information, and sexual orientation information bring the text completely up to date.
- REVISED! The index has been revised for clarity and ease of use.
- UPDATED! Updated information throughout reflects changes to SOGC and FOTC clinical practice guidelines.
- Progressive Case Studies woven through each chapter and Nursing Care Plans related to the case studies help students fine tune their critical thinking skills by applying chapter content to real-life scenarios.
- New chapter-ending case review questions reinforce learning.
- Collaborative Care sections prepare students to work effectively with a team of caregivers.
- Nursing Procedures sections provide striking, step-by-step visuals that illustrate how to perform each procedure.
- Coverage of the healthcare issues associated with Canada’s immigrant population prepares students for the realities of practice.
- Pharmacology boxes present mechanisms of action, usual dosages, common side effects, and nursing implications to prepare students for effective practice.
- More than250 full color illustrations and more than 300 full color photographs bring concepts to life and clarify information.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes increase students’ understanding of different approaches to treatment.
- Teaching Tips prepare your students for effective client and family education to ensure health promotion, disease prevention, and illness management.
- Nursing Research boxes Nursing Research boxes apply the latest evidence-based practices to clinical situations.
- Assessment Tools prepare your students for effective patient assessment, including gathering patient histories and doing physical examinations.
About the Authors
Robin J Evans RN, PhD, PNC(C)
Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, Regina Site, University of Saskatchewan, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Yvonne M Brown
Marilyn K Evans RN, MN, PhD
Assistant Professor, Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Table of Contents
Unit 1 Foundations of Maternal, Newborn, and Women’s Health Care
Chapter 1 Philosophy and Framework for Women’s Reproductive and Sexual
Chapter 2 Health Promotion
Chapter 3 Nutrition for Adolescent and Adult Women* <fn1>
Chapter 4 Medical Alterations in Women During Adolescence and Adulthood
Chapter 5 Mental Health Concerns for Women in Adolescence and Adulthood
Chapter 6 Sexuality and Reproduction
Chapter 7 Family Formation
Unit 2 Special Reproductive and Health Concerns
Chapter 8 Fertility Control and Contraception
Chapter 9 Voluntary Pregnancy Termination
Chapter 10 Fertility Challenges
Chapter 11 Genetics, Embryology, and Preconceptual/Prenatal Assessment and Screening
Unit 3 Pregnancy
Chapter 12 Process of Pregnancy
Chapter 13 High-Risk Pregnancy
Chapter 14 Educational Preparation for Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Parenthood
Unit 4 Labour and Childbirth
Chapter 16 High-Risk Labour and Childbirth
Chapter 17 Pharmacologic Pain Management of Labour
Unit 5 Postpartum Period and Newborn Care
Chapter 18 Fourth Stage of Labour and Postpartum Period
Chapter 19 The High-Risk Postpartum Woman
Chapter 20 The Healthy Newborn
Chapter 21 Newborn Nutrition
Chapter 22 The High-Risk Newborn
Unit 6 Menopause and Beyond
Chapter 23 The Menopausal Experience
Chapter 24 The Older Postmenopausal Woman