The Seventh Edition of this nursing-focused nutrition text has been updated to reflect the latest evidence-based practice and nutrition recommendations. Written in a user-friendly style, the text emphasizes what the nurse really needs to know in practice. Maintaining its nursing process focus and emphasis on patient teaching, this edition includes features to help readers integrate nutrition into nursing care such as sample Nursing Process tables, Case Studies in every chapter, and new Interactive Case Studies online.
- Check Your Knowledge presents true/false questions at the beginning of each chapter to assess the student’s baseline knowledge. Questions relate to chapter Learning Objectives.
- Key Terms are defined in the margin for convenient reference.
- Quick Bites—fewer and more condensed to improve layout and readability in the new edition—provide quick nutrition facts, valuable information, and current research.
- Nursing Process tables clearly present sample application of nutrition concepts in context of the nursing process.
- “How Do You Respond?” helps students identify potential questions they may encounter in the clinical setting and prepares them to think on their feet.
- A Case Study and Study Questions at the end of each chapter challenge students to apply what they have learned.
- Key Concepts summarize important information from each chapter.
About the Author(s)
Susan G Dudek RD, BS
Bertrand Chaffee Hospital, Jennie B. Richmond Nursing Home, Springville, NY and Part-Time Assistant Professor, Dietetic Technology Program, Eire-Community College, Williamsville, NY
Table of Contents
Unit One Principles of Nutrition
chapter 1 Nutrition in Nursing
chapter 2 Carbohydrates
chapter 3 Protein
chapter 4 Lipids
chapter 5 Vitamins
chapter 6 Water and Minerals
chapter 7 Energy Balance
Unit Two Nutrition in Health Promotion
chapter 8 Guidelines for Healthy Eating
chapter 9 Consumer Issues
chapter 10 Cultural and Religious Influences on Food and Nutrition
chapter 11 Healthy Eating for Healthy Babies
chapter 12 Nutrition for Infants, Children, and Adolescents
chapter 13 Nutrition for Older Adults
Unit Three Nutrition in Clinical Practice
chapter 14 Obesity and Eating Disorders
chapter 15 Feeding Patients: Oral Diets and Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
chapter 16 Nutrition for Patients with Metabolic or Respiratory Stress
chapter 17 Nutrition for Patients with Upper Gastrointestinal Disorders
Chapter 18: Nutrition for Patients with Disorders of the Lower GI Tract and Accessory Organs
chapter 19 Nutrition for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus
chapter 20 Nutrition for Patients with Cardiovascular Disorders
chapter 21 Nutrition for Patients with Kidney Disorders
chapter 22 Nutrition for Patients with Cancer or HIV/AIDS
appendix 1: Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs): recommended dietary allowances
and adequate intakes, total water and macronutrients
appendix 2: Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs): recommended dietary allowances and adequate intakes, vitamins
appendix 3: Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs): recommended dietary allowances and adequate intakes, elements
appendix 4: Answers to Study Questions