Eliopoulos provides students with the content they need, taking a holistic approach to gerontological nursing. Updated for currency, the text works to ensure students are prepared for their careers with new real world application and care competencies to help guide work place decisions. With DocuCare availability, this new edition also connects textbook resources with clinical and simulation setting via supplementary resources.
- NEW - Bringing Research to Life boxes (EBP boxes) highlight current research related to chapter topic and related best practices
- NEW - Practice Realities translate chapter topic to a real life scenario
- NEW - content on empowering the older adult and discussion of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender older adults
- Extensive discussion on revised appropriate use and regulations regarding "chemical restraint"
- Enhanced discussion of end-of-life decision making including cultural considerations
- Nursing Diagnosis Highlight provides a case with nursing care plan steps that can be implemented
- Case Study with critical thinking questions related to chapter topic
- Key Concepts and Points to Ponder help guide students through each chapter
- Terms to Know highlight the key terms for each chapter topic
Table of Contents
1 The Aging Population 2 Theories of Aging 3 Diversity 4 Life Transitions and Story 5 Common Agiing Changes 6 The Speicialty of Gerontological Nursing 7 Holisitic Model for Gerontological Nursing 8 Legal Aspects of Gerontological Nursing 9 Ethical Aspects of Gerontological Nursing 10 Continuum of Care in Gerontological Nursing 11 Self-Care for the Gerontological Nurse 12 Sexuality and Intimacy 13 Spirituality 14 Nutrition and Hydration 15 Rest and Sleep 16 Comfort and Pain Management 17 Safety 18 Safe Medication Use 19 Respiration 20 Circulation 21 Digestion and Bowel Elimination 22 Urinary Elimination 23 Reproductive System Health 24 Movement 25 Neurologic Function 26 Sensation 27 Endocrine Function 28 Integumentary Function 29 Immune Function 30 Infections 31 Cancer 32 Mental Health Disorders 33 Delirium and Dementia 34 Living in Harmony with Chronic Conditions 35 Rehabilitative Care 36 Acute Care 37 Long-Term Care 38 Family Caregiving 39 End-of-Life Care