The Board Review Series (BRS) is aimed at providing basic knowledge as it relates to clinical situations and is used primarily by medical students studying for the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE). BRS BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE covers material on this subject that is addressed on USMLE Step 1. Previous editions of this volume have been quite popular with medical students. As in its previous editions, BRS BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE is written in outline format to provide an efficient method of studying Behavioral Science for USMLE. A major focus of books in the BRS series is to provide experience to students in answering USMLE-style questions. To this end, the book contains over 700 such questions with accompanying annotated answers. An exam follows each chapter and a Comprehensive Exam is included at the end of the book.
- BRS outline format used throughout the book.
- Over 700 USMLE-style questions (about 15 questions at the end of each chapter) and a Comprehensive Exam containing about 100 questions at the end of the book.
- Each chapter begins with a Typical Board Question (TBQ) to introduce the subject matter of the chapter and expose the student to the way that subject is commonly tested on the USMLE.
- All questions provide annotated answers that illustrate important aspects of the material.
Table of Contents
1. The Beginning of Life: Pregnancy Through Preschool 2. School Age, Adolescence, Special Issues of Development, and Adulthood 3. Aging, Death, and Bereavement 4. Genetics, Anatomy, and Biochemistry of Behavior 5. Biological Assessment of Patients with Psychiatric Symptoms 6. Psychoanalytic Theory and Defense Mechanisms 7. Learning Theory 8. Clinical Assessment of Patients with Behavioral Symptoms 9. Substance Abuse 10. Normal Sleep and Sleep Disorders 11. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders 12. Mood Disorders 13. Anxiety Disorders, Somatoform Disorders and Related Conditions 14. Cognitive, Personality, Dissociative, and Eating Disorders 15. Psychiatric Disorders in Children 16. Biologic Therapies: Psychopharmacology 17. Psychological Therapies 18. The Family, Culture, and Illness 19. Sexuality 20. Aggression and Abuse 21. The Physician-Patient Relationship 22. Psychosomatic Medicine 23. Legal and Ethical Issues in Medicine 24. Health Care in the United States 25. Medical Epidemiology 26. Statistical Analyses Comprehensive Exam