Acclaimed for its clear, friendly style, excellent illustrations, leading
author team, and compelling theme of exploration, Neuroscience: Exploring the
Brain, 4e takes a fresh, contemporary approach to the study of neuroscience,
emphasizing the biological basis of behavior. The authors’ passion for
the dynamic field of neuroscience is evident on every page, engaging students
and helping them master the material.
In just a few years, the field of neuroscience has been transformed by exciting new technologies and an explosion of knowledge about the brain. The human genome has been sequenced, sophisticated new methods have been developed for genetic engineering, and new methods have been introduced to enable visualization and stimulation of specific types of nerve cells and connections in the brain. The new Fourth Edition has been fully updated to reflect these and other rapid advances in the field, while honoring its commitment to be student-friendly with striking new illustrations, additional animations, and an unparalleled array of online resources.
- “Path of Discovery” boxes by leading experts in the field (including Nobel Prize winners) showcase actual research experiences, illuminating real-life paths to scientific discovery.
- Illustrations and animations make complex concepts easier to understand.
- A neuroanatomy atlas insert (Appendix to Chapter 7) provides large images that highlight the anatomy of the brain, along with a self-quiz that gives students an opportunity to check their understanding.
- “Of Special Interest” boxes provide interesting facts and topics that connect theory with real-life neuroscience applications.
- “Brain food” boxes provide additional information on key topics.
About the Author(s)
Mark F. Bear PhD
Professor, MIT University, Cambridge, MA
Barry W. Connors PhD
Professor of Medical Sciences, Brown University, Providence, RI
Michael A. Paradiso PhD
Professor of Neuroscience, Brown University, Providence, RI