ACSM’s Resources for the Personal Trainer provides a broad introduction to the field of personal training, covering both basic science topics and practical application. It was originally designed to help people prepare for the ACSM Personal Training Certification Exam. It continues to serve that function, but the market for it has expanded to practitioners in the field looking for an additional resource, as well as in an academic setting where the book is a core text for personal training programs.
- ACSM name. The American College of Sports Medicine name and stature will continue to be a key feature of the book, as it is seen as the “gold standard.”
- Broad foundational approach gives personal trainers a strong foundation in the basic fundamentals.
- Video will demonstrate key personal training techniques.
- NEW! Case studies show true-to-life examples.
- NEW! icons show readers which portions of the text correspond to online videos.
- Key points succinctly summarize crucial information.
- Objectives tell readers what they will learn in the chapter.
Table of Contents
Part I Introduction to the Field and Profession of Personal Training
- Chapter 1 Importance of the Field and Profession of Personal Training
- Chapter 2 Career Track for Personal Trainers
Part II The Science of Personal Training
- Chapter 3 Anatomy and Kinesiology
- Chapter 4 Biomechanical Principles of Training
- Chapter 5 Exercise Physiology
- Chapter 6 Nutrition And Human Performance
Part III Behavior Modification
- Chapter 7 Theories of Behavior Change
- Chapter 8 Adherence to Exercise: Helping Your Client Stay Active
- Chapter 9 Counseling and Coaching Techniques
Part IV Initial Client Screening
- Chapter 10 The Initial Client Consultation
- Chapter 11 Screening and Risk Classification
- Chapter 12 Client Fitness Assessments
Part V Developing the Exercise Program
- Chapter 13 Comprehensive Program Design
- Chapter 14 Resistance Training Programs
- Chapter 15 Cardiorespiratory Training Programs
- Chapter 16 Guidelines for Designing Flexibility Programs
- Chapter 17 Personal Training Session Components
- Chapter 18 Advanced Program Options
- Chapter 19 Special Populations
Part VI The Business of Personal Training
- Chapter 20 Business Basics And Planning
- Chapter 21 Legal Issues and Responsibilities