The updated fifth edition of the bestselling Gold Medal Nutrition, is an easily accessible, comprehensive manual covering the areas that most concern athletes and fitness enthusiasts, including what and when to eat, and why.
It takes the guesswork out of sports nutrition by explaining how food preparation and purchasing habits can maximize performance. It also includes detailed instructions for creating personalized nutrition plans that are not only tasty and quick to produce, but also contain all the vital nutrients needed for success.
Athletes will also gain valuable advice on developing their own supplements, such as protein shakes and sports drinks, at a fraction of the cost of commercial products.
The updated edition also includes new chapters on vegetarian diets, nutrition for specific sports, and tips for understanding what to buy and is a practical resource for anyone who wants to keep up on the changing world of sports nutrition.
- Chapter 1 Nutrition and Fuel Systems for Sports
- Chapter 3 Carbohydrate for Energy
- Chapter 5 Liquids for Hydration, Cooling, and Energy
- Chapter 7 Eating and Drinking Before, During, and After Sport
- Chapter 9 Food Choices for the Athlete’s Kitchen
- Chapter 11 Restaurant and Road Trip Meals
- Chapter 13 Fat Burning and Weight Loss Strategies
- Chapter 14 Nutrition for Specific Sports
About the Author(s)
Glenn Cardwell is a qualified sports dietitian and an accredited practicing dietitian with more than 25 years of experience. He has advised athletes from junior ranks through elite levels, and he has run courses for fitness leaders and personal trainers since 1986. One of the first sports dietitians in Australia, he lectures in sports nutrition at Edith Cowan University and helped to establish Sports Dietitians Australia, a professional body of qualified sports dietitians, and serves as their newsletter editor.