ABOUT THIS BOOK
- Detailed and up-to-date treatment of endocrine regulation of the skeleton and of the diseases and disorders stemming from the endocrine dysregulation
- Bridges the gap between practice and research
- Author list comprises international authorities
- Content deals with a broad overview of the topic as well as cutting edge knowledge
Recent research, which Bone-Metabolic Functions and Modulators expands on, has added new support to the idea that bone not only serves as a support system, but also functions as an integrating organ, with a significant regulatory role for lipid and energy metabolism. Links between physical activity and the skeleton are also becoming increasingly clear. This fully illustrated volume contains up-to-date information on the metabolic role of the skeleton and what this can mean for the treatment of metabolic as well as skeletal and auditory diseases.
Bone-Metabolic Functions and Modulators is of particular interest to clinician scientists, clinical and basic bone researchers, orthopedists, endocrinologists, internists, dentists, nurse practitioners, medical and dental residents and physiotherapists as well as students of the musculoskeletal system.
Bone-Metabolic Functions and Modulators is the seventh volume in the series Topics in Bone Biology, edited by Felix Bronner and Mary C. Farach-Carson.
Other titles in this series:-
- Bone Formation
- Bone Resorption
- Engineering of Functional Skeletal Tissues
- Bone and Osteoarthritis
- Bone and Cancer
- Bone and Development
Content Level » Professional/practitioner
Related subjects » Internal Medicine - Orthopedics - Rheumatology
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Parathyroid Hormone and Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein: Normal Function, Diseases, and Emerging Therapeutics
- Vitamin D: Normal Function, Metabolism, Diseases, and Emerging Therapeutics
- Gonadal Hormones, Diseases, and Emerging Therapeutics
- Thyroid and Thyroid Hormone: Normal Function, Diseases, Disorders, Emerging Therapeutics
- Pituitary Hormones and the Pathophysiology of Osteoporosis
- Calcitonin: Its Physiological Role and Emerging Therapeutics
- Glucocorticoids, Inflammation and Bone
- Diseases of Energy and Lipid Metabolism and Bone: Emerging Therapeutics
- Diseases of Mineral Metabolism and Bone: Emerging Therapeutics for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
- Renal Diseases and Bone: Emerging Therapeutics
- Wasting Diseases and Metabolic Impact on Bone: Emerging Therapeutics and Treatment Options
- Paget’s Disease of Bone: Pathogenesis and Treatment
- Bone Loss in Space Flight and Countermeasures
- Osteoimmunology: Relation to Disease and Therapy
- Bone and the Ear
- Bone and the cAMP Signaling Pathway: Emerging Therapeutics
- Nervous System Diseases, Disorders and Bone: Emerging Therapeutics and Treatment Options.
AUTHORS & EDITORS
Felix Bronner, PhD is Professor Emeritus at University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, USA
Mary Farach-Carson, PhD is Associate Vice Provost for Research Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology at Rice University, Houston, TX, USA.
Helmtrud I. Roach, PhD was a Reader in the Bone and Joint Research Group at Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK.