This is an essential, accessible introduction to the practicalities of research and evidence-based practice aimed at all pre-registration nursing and health care students. It places research and evidence in the context of clinical practice, introduces the main methodological approaches in qualitative and quantitative research and describes the processes of research appraisal, dissemination and implementation.
The new edition of Research for Evidence-Based Practice in Healthcare has been updated to include information for a broader health care audience, it engages students with the research and evidence agenda, demonstrates the relevance of research and evidence to nursing practice, and provides them with the skills needed to explore these areas in greater detail.
- A practical guide to research methods and evidence-based practice
- New edition of a successful student textbook
- Includes a glossary of common research terms,
- Provides case studies, key points, further reading, and activities throughout
- Accompanying website with links to further reading
Table of Contents
List of Common Research Terms.
SECTION 1 CONTEXTUAL MATERIALS.
- 1 Introduction to Healthcare Research for Evidence-Based Practice.
- 2 The Research Process – Organising Your Research.
- 3 Choosing Methodological Approaches.
- 4 Searching the Literature.
- 5 Ethics of Healthcare Research.
- 6 Basic Concepts: Sampling, Reliability and Validity.
SECTION 2 QUALITATIVE APPROACHES.
- 7 Issues in Qualitative Data Collection.
- 8 Case Studies.
- 9 Ethnography.
- 10 Phenomenology.
- 11 A Pragmatic Approach to Qualitative Data Analysis.
- 12 Limitations of Qualitative Research.
SECTION 3 QUANTITATIVE APPROACHES.
- 13 Sampling, Reliability and Validity Issues in Data Collection and Analysis.
- 14 Cause and Effect, Hypothesis Testing and Estimation.
- 15 Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Approaches.
- 16 The Single Case Experiment.
- 17 Randomised Controlled Trials.
- 18 Non-Experimental Approaches.
- 19 Surveys.
- 20 The Role of Statistics.
SECTION 4 APPRAISAL, DISSEMINATION AND IMPLEMENTATION.
- 21 Evidence-Based Practice and Clinical Effectiveness.
- 22 Critical Evaluation of Research Reports.
- 23 Writing a Research Report.
- 24 Getting Research into Practice.
Appendix 1 Research Log.
Appendix 2 List of Useful Websites (In Order of Citation).
Robert Newell is Professor of Nursing Research & Director of Postgraduate
Research, University of Bradford.
Philip Burnard is Emeritus Professor of Nursing, Cardiff University