Offering quick access to the pathological conditions most commonly seen in the physician's office, this portable text/reference is ideal for administrative and clinical medical assistants who have responsibilities such as billing, coding, telephone screening, taking patient examinations, understanding diagnostic and treatment procedures, and putting together patient education programs. Reflecting the latest changes in the field, this fourth edition describes over 500 conditions and disorders, and includes ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes for each disease entry. A companion website enhances understanding with exercises, patient screening and patient teaching critical thinking questions, A&P web links, and certification exam review questions.
- Enrichment boxes relate disease information to everyday practice.
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes included for each disease entry provide valuable practice looking up codes and illustrate differences between the two code sets.
- Current information on the most commonly encountered clinical disorders is presented in small segments for easier understanding.
- Full-color illustrations clarify difficult concepts.
- Consistent coverage for all diseases walks you through each step of patient care and treatment, including:
- Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Screening UNIQUE!
- Patient Teaching
- Pharmacology appendix details drug names, therapeutic objectives, side effects, and general comments for commonly prescribed drugs.
- Alerts highlight safety precautions for physician-based practice.
- Review Challenges reinforce content and reveal areas requiring additional study.
- Real-life Challenges test your ability to apply chapter content to real-world cases.
- Internet activities on the companion Evolve site broaden your understanding and direct you to additional information available online.
New to This Edition
- NEW! H1N1 influenza coverage alerts you to related dangers you may encounter on the job.
- NEW! ICD-10-CM codes for each disease prepare you for the October 2013 implementation of the new code set.
- NEW! Icons direct you to corresponding learning exercises and additional information on the companion Evolve site.
Table of Contents
- Mechanisms of Disease, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Developmental, Congenital, and Childhood Diseases and Disorders
- Immunologic Diseases and Conditions
- Diseases and Conditions of the Endocrine System
- Diseases and Disorders of the Eye and Ear
- Diseases and Conditions of the Integumentary System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Musculoskeletal System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Digestive System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Respiratory System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Circulatory System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Urinary System
- Diseases and Conditions of the Reproductive System
- Neurological Diseases and Conditions
- Mental Disorders
- Disorders and Conditions Resulting from Trauma
- Appendix I: Common Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests
- Appendix II: Pharmacology
Margaret Schell Frazier, RN, CMA, BS, Formerly-Department Chair, Health and Human Services Division, Program Chair, Medical Assisting Program, Ivy Tech State College, Fort Wayne, IN
Jeanette Drzymkowski, RN, BS, Formerly-Associate Faculty, Ivy Tech State College, Northeast, Fort Wayne, IN