As the touchstone for practicing perianesthesia nurses for 25 years, PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach, 5th Edition is the only book on the market that provides comprehensive clinical content specifically tailored to perianesthesia nurses. The book integrates nursing and pharmacologic interventions with detailed pathophysiology. Focusing on research, documentation, and psychosocial considerations, PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach is your complete resource for preparation for ASPAN certification and clinical practice.
- Five separate sections provide coverage including the PACU, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations.
- An overview of essential PACU concepts section covers issues such as patient safety, evidence-based research, and legal/ethical considerations
- Anatomy and physiology chapters cover physiologic considerations for each body system
- Pharmacology chapters cover basic principles as well as types of anesthetic agents such as intravenous anesthetics and regional anesthesia, including the physiology of action and the appropriate nursing interventions to prepare you for common situations in the PACU.
- Nursing care chapters cover assessment, patient education, complications, pain management, and care of specialty-surgery patients.
- A section on special considerations covers the care of patients of different ages and those with conditions such as malignant hyperthermia, substance abuse, and cardiac arrest.
- Coverage of current policies and issues affecting perianesthesia nursing practice includes patient safety, infection control, managed care implications, pain management, and bioterrorism.
- Nursing and pharmacologic interventions are integrated with in-depth coverage of pathophysiology for a comprehensive look at disease and treatment.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- NEW Evidence Based Research boxes are added to all the chapters in Section IV and Section V.
- NEW! Care of the Obese Patient Undergoing Bariatric Surgery chapter discusses the challenges that weight-loss surgery presents to the patient and perianesthesia nurse.
- Streamlined format includes an overview, chapter summary, and references for each chapter.
- More than 275 illustrations show key concepts and principles of care.
- Updated The Changing Health Care System and Its Implications for the PACU chapter includes content on healthcare reform.
- Revised Patient Safety and Legal Issues in the PACU chapter includes content on patient safety.
- Expanded Evidence-based Practice and Research and Bioterrorism and Its Impact on the PACU chapters include coverage of new developments and practices.
Table of Contents
Section I: The Postanesthesia Care Unit
- 1. Space Planning and Basic Equipment Systems
- 2. Perianesthesia Nursing as a Specialty
- 3. Management and Policies
- 4. Crisis Resource Management in the PACU
- 5. Infection Prevention and Control in the PACU
- 6. The Changing Health Care System and Its Implications for the PACU
- 7. Patient Safety and Legal Issues in the PACU
- 8. Ethics in Perianesthesia Nursing
- 9. Evidence-based Practice and Research
Section II: Physiologic Considerations in the PACU
- 10. The Nervous System
- 11. The Cardiovascular System
- 12. The Respiratory System
- 13. The Renal System
- 14. Fluid and Electrolytes
- 15. The Endocrine System
- 16. The Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal System
- 17. The Integumentary System
- 18. The Immune System
Section III: Concepts in Anesthetic Agents
- 19. Basic Principles of Pharmacology
- 20. Inhalation Anesthesia
- 21. Nonopioid Intravenous Anesthetics
- 22. Opioid Intravenous Anesthetics
- 23. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents
- 24. Local Anesthetics
- 25. Regional Anesthesia
Section IV: Nursing Care in the PACU
- 26. Transition from the Operating Room to the PACU
- 27. Assessment and Monitoring of the Perianesthesia Patient
- 28. Patient Education and Care of the Perianesthesia Patient
- 29. Postanesthesia Care Complications
- 30. Assessment and Management of the Airway
- 31. Pain Management
- 32. Care of the Ear, Nose, Throat, Neck, and Maxillofacial Surgical Patient
- 33. Care of the Ophthalmic Surgical Patient
- 34. Care of the Thoracic Surgical Patient
- 35. Care of the Cardiac Surgical Patient
- 36. Care of the Vascular Surgical Patient
- 37. Care of the Orthopedic Surgical Patient
- 38. Care of the Neurosurgical Patient
- 39. Care of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgical Patient
- 40. Care of the Gastrointestinal, Abdominal, and Anorectal Surgical Patient
- 41. Care of the Genitourinary Surgical Patient
- 42. Care of the Obstetric and Gynecological Surgical Patient
- 43. Care of the Breast Surgical Patient
- 44. Care of the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Patient
- 45. Care of the Obese Patient Undergoing Bariatric Surgery
- 46. Care of the Ambulatory Surgical Patient
- 47. Care of the Laser/Laparoscopic Surgical Patient
Section V: Special Considerations
- 48. Care of the Patient with Chronic Disorders
- 49. Care of the Pediatric Patient
- 50. Care of the Older&' || 'nbsp;Patient
- 51. Care of the Pregnant Patient
- 52. Care of the Substance Using Patient
- 53. Care of the Patient with Thermal Imbalance
- 54. Care of the Shock Trauma Patient
- 55. Care of the Intensive Care Unit Patient in the PACU
- 56. Bioterrorism and Its Impact on the PACU
- 57. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the PACU
By Jan Odom-Forren, MS, RN, PhD, CPAN, FAAN, Perianesthesia / Perioperative Consultant, Co-Editor, Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, Louisville, KY