Valvular Heart Disease is now an even better source for all your questions on dysfunctions or abnormalities of the heart’s four valves. In the third edition, Catherine Otto is joined by Robert Bonow and a team of expert contributors to bring you the latest developments in imaging and treatment. The full-color images and illustrations reflect the cutting-edge imaging and diagnostic modalities—Doppler echo and MR—that are so important for diagnosing aortic valve defects. Superb diagrams, an increased focus on imaging and case-based presentation, and new chapters—on Cardiac MR and CT imaging for valvular heart disease; Genetic, molecular and cellular mechanisms of valvular disease; Bicuspid aortic valve disease; and Ischemic mitral regurgitation—further enhance this valuable reference. And, the full text is available online at expertconsult.com where you can search the entire contents.
Presents comprehensive coverage of valvular heart disease to provide you with
a complete reference and one-stop shop for this specialty in cardiac medicine.
Provides complete guidance on how and why to surgically treat valve patients for a reliable manual on managing difficult cases.
Features chapters on pediatric and pregnant patients so you know what considerations to take into account when treating these special populations.
New to this Edition
- Provides access to the fully searchable text online at expertconsult.com.
- Introduces Robert Bonow as an editor, who joins Catherine Otto and the team of expert authors to provide you with guidance from leaders in the field.
- Features new chapters—Genetic, molecular and cellular mechanisms of valvular disease; Bicuspid aortic valve disease; and Ischemic mitral regurgitation—for the latest in cutting-edge research and clinical data.
- Reflects the latest in imaging modalities in the new section on cardiac MR and CT imaging for valvular heart disease to provide you with a full understand of the tools for the most accurate diagnosis.
- Presents detailed illustrations and images in full color to better showcase valve anatomy and dysfunction, as well as important techniques and surgical procedures.
- Includes a summary of the new ACC/AHA valvular heart disease guidelines in each chapter to keep you up to date on the latest best practices throughout the field.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. The Burden of Valvular Heart Disease, George A. Mensah
- Chapter 2. Clinical Pathology of Valvular Heart Disease, William Clifford Roberts and Jong Mi Ko
- Chapter 3. Cellular, Molecular and Genetic Mechanisms of Valvular Heart Disease, Nalini Marie Rajamannan
- Chapter 4. Left Ventricular Adaptation to Pressure and/or Volume Overload, Blase A. Carabello
- Chapter 5. Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease by Echocardiography, Catherine M. Otto
- Chapter 6. Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease by Cardiac Catheterization and Angiocardiography, David M. Shavelle
- Chapter 7. Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance and Computed Tomography, Mario J. Garcia
- Chapter 8. Basic Principles of Medical Therapy in the Patient with Valvular Heart Disease, Catherine M. Otto
- Chapter 9. Aortic Stenosis, Raphael Rosenhek and Helmut Baumgartner
- Chapter 10. Aortic Regurgitation, Pilar Tornos and Robert O. Bonow
- Chapter 11. The Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Alan C. Braverman and Michael A. Beardslee
- Chapter 12. Surgical Approach to Aortic Valve Disease, Paul Stelzer and David H. Adams
- Chapter 13. Percutaneous Aortic Valve Implantation, Brad Munt
- Chapter 14. Rheumatic Mitral Valve Disease, Bernard Iung and Alec Vahanian
- Chapter 15. Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease, Brian Griffin
- Chapter 16. Ischemic Mitral Regurgitation, Robert A. Levine, MD, Ronen Beeri, MD, Yutaka Otsuji, MD, and Ehud Schwammenthal, MD
- Chapter 17. Mitral Regurgitation: Timing of Surgery,Rick A. Nishimura and Hartzell V. Schaff
- Chapter 18. Mitral Valve Repair and Replacement, Including Associated Atrial Fibrillation and Tricuspid Regurgitation, Patrick M. McCarthy and S. Chris Malaisrie
- Chapter 19. Percutaneous Transcatheter Intervention for Mitral Regurgitation, Peter C. Block
- Chapter 20. Intraoperative Echocardiography for Mitral Valve Disease, Pravin M. Shah
- Chapter 21. Right-Sided Valve Disease, Charles J. Bruce and Heidi M. Connolly
- Chapter 22. Infective Endocarditis, Thomas M. Bashore
- Chapter 23. Prosthetic Heart Valves, Patrick T. O’Gara
- Chapter 24. Valve Disease in Children, L. LuAnn Minich, Lloyd Y. Tani, Richard V. Williams, and Michael D. Puchalski
- Chapter 25. Valvular Heart Disease in Pregnancy, Karen Stout
By Catherine M. Otto, MD, Professor of Medicine, Director, Cardiology Fellowship Programs, University of Washington, Seattle, WA and Robert O. Bonow, MD, Goldberg Distinguished Professor of Cardiology, Northwestern University Feinberg Shool of Medicine; Chief, Division of Cardiology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL