The new, therapeutically-focused Botulinum Toxin presents comprehensive, cross-disciplinary guidance on current practices, covering more than 100 non-cosmetic conditions that occur in neurology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, pain medicine, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, urology, orthopedics, and surgery. International contributors review the current understanding of the biology and cellular mechanisms along with relevant research so you can easily apply them to the pathophysiology of the numerous disorders that botulinum toxin is used to treat—such as botulinum toxin applications for the treatment of cranial-cervical dystonias, motor disorders in cerebral palsy, bruxism and temporomandibular disorders, headache, overactive bladder, chronic pelvic pain syndromes, arthritis joint pain, and wound healing. With discussions of the latest in approved treatment practices as well as new and emerging uses, you’ll get in-depth management guidance on the application of the toxin.
- Provides clinical applications of botulinum toxin for over 100 disorders for immediate access and easy reference during practice and treatment.
- Covers a broad array of hot topics, including botulinum toxin applications for the treatment of cranial-cervical dystonias, motor disorders in cerebral palsy, bruxism and temporomandibular disorders, headache, overactive bladder, chronic pelvic pain syndromes, arthritis joint pain, and wound healing.
- Focuses on approved uses with expert advice on thoroughly tested applications but also discusses new and emerging applications to expose you to additional treatment options.
- Presents the most comprehensive and up-to-date material available so you get all the information you need from this one resource.
- Offers the cross-disciplinary guidance of the best world-class expertise through an authoritative, international group of authors who demonstrate the applications of botulinum toxin across various specialties.
Table of Contents
1. Multiple Steps in the Blockade of Exocytosis by Botulinum Neurotoxins, Dolly, J. Oliver, Jianghui Meng, Jiafu Wang, Gary W. Lawrence, MacDara Bodeker, Tomas H. Zurawski, and Astrid Sasse, Editor: M. Zouhair Atassi
2. Molecular Structures and Functional Relationships of Botulinum Neurotoxins, Subramanyam Swaminathan, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
3. Botulinum Neurotoxin – a Modular Nanomachine, Audrey Fischer, Lilia Koriazova, Myrta Oblatt-Montal and Mauricio Montal, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
4. Interactions Between Botulinum Neurotoxins and Synaptic Vesicle Proteins, Axel T. Brunger, Rongsheng Jin, and Mark A. Breidenbach, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
5. Immune Recognition of Botulinum Neurotoxins A and B and Molecular Elucidation of Immune Protection Against the Toxins, M. Zouhair Atassi, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
6. Biology and Clinical Pharmacology of Botulinum Neurotoxin type C and Other Non-A/Non-B Botulinum Neurotoxins, Roberto Eleopra, Cesare Montecucco, Editor: M. Zouhair Atassi
7. Effects of Botulinum Toxin on Central Nervous Function, Carlo Trompetto, Giovanni Abbruzzese, Alfredo Berardelli, Antonio Suppa, Editor: Mark Hallett
8. Botulinum Neurotoxin Treatment of Cranial-Cervical Dystonia, Christopher Kenney, Joseph Jankovic, Editor: Alberto Albanese
9. Botulinum Neurotoxin Treatment of Limb and Occupational Dystonias, Barbara Illowsky Karp, Editor: Joseph Jankovic
10. Botulinum Neurotoxin in Tremors, Tics, Hemifacial Spasm, and Spasmodic Dysphonia, Anna Rita Bentivoglio, Alfonso Fasano, Alberto Albanese, Editor: Joseph Jankovic
11. Upper Limb Skin and Musculoskeletal Consequences of the Upper Motor Neuron Syndrome, Nathaniel Mayer, Alberto Esquenazi, Editor: Mark Hallett
12. Clinical Trials of Botulinum Neurotoxin in Adult Spasticity: Meta-Analysis of Outcomes, Antonio Elia, Graziella Filippine, Alberto Albanese, Editor: Mark Hallett
13. Biological & Mechanical Pathologies in Spastic Skeletal Muscle: The Functional Implications of Therapeutic Neurotoxins, Samuel Ward, Richard Lieber, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
14. Treatment of Motor Disorders in Cerebral Palsy With Botulinum Neurotoxin, Jane Leonard, H. Kerr Graham, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
15. Clinical Experience & Recent Advances in the Management of Gait Disorders with Botulinum Neurotoxin, Alberto Esquenazi, Nathaniel Mayer, Editor: Mark Hallett
16. Treatment of Ormandibular Dystonia, Bruxism and Temporomandibular Disorders with Botulinum Toxin, Nwangmegha Young, Andrew Blitzer, Editor: Joseph Jankovic
17. Botulinum Toxin in Headache Management, Stephen Silberstein, Editor: Alberto Albanese
18. Botulinum Toxin Therapy in Gastrointestinal Disorders, Rajasekhara Mummadi, Pankaj J. Pasricha, Editor: Alberto Albanese
19. Mechanism of Action of Botulinum Neurotoxin in the Bladder, Michael Chancellor, George Somogyi, Christopher P. Smith, Editor: Alberto Albanese
20. Botulinum Neurotoxin in Overactive Bladder, Brigitte Schurch, Dennis Dykstra, Editor: Alberto Albanese
21. Botulinum Toxin in the Treatment of Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndromes, Phillip P. Smith, Christopher Smith, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
22. Application of Botulinum Neurotoxin in the Prostate, Yao Chi Chuang, Michael B. Chancellor, Editor: Alberto Albanese
23. Clinical Application of Botulinum Neurotoxin in the Treatment of Myofascial Pain Syndromes, Martin Childers, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
24. Intra-Articular Botulinum Neurotoxin for Arthritis Joint Pain, Maren Lawson Mahowald, Hollis E Krug, Jasvinder A Singh, Dennis Dykstra, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
25. Botulinum Neurotoxin in the Management of Hyperhidrosis and Other Hypersecretory Disorders, Dee Anna Glaser, Markus Naumann, Editor: Alberto Albanese
26. Botulinum Neurotoxin for Dermatologic and Cosmetic Disorders, Dee Anna Glaser, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
27. The Role of Botulinum Neurotoxin in Wound Healing, Holger G. Gassner, David A. Sherris, Kris S. Moe, Oren Friedman, Editor: Nathaniel Mayer
28. Understanding Botulinum Neurotoxin Mechanism of Action and Structure to Enhance Therapeutics and Improve Care, Keith A Foster, Emily J. Adams and Duncan F. Rogers, Editor: M. Zouhair Atassi
29. Unmet Needs and Challenges in the Therapeutic Use of Botulinum Neurotoxins, David Simpson, Yuen T. So, Editor: Joseph Jankovic
30. Potential New Therapeutic Indications of Botulinum Neurotoxins, Mark Hallett, Editor: Joseph Jankovic
31. Botulism Vaccines and the Immune Response, Leonard Smith, Janice Rusnak, Editor: M. Zouhair Atassi
32. Properties of Pharmaceutical Products of Botulinum Neurotoxins, Hans Bigalke, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
33. Comparative Clinical trials Of Botulinum Toxins, Dirk Dressler, Cindy Comella, Editor: Alberto Albanese
34. Tetanus Toxin, Paul Fishman, Editor: Mark Hallett
35. Bungarotoxins, Florenta Aura Kullmann, William C. de Groat, Debra Elaine Artim, Editor: Mark Hallett
36. Biology and Pharmacology of Conotoxins, Russell W. Teichert, Elsie C. Jimenez, Baldomero M. Olivera, Editor: Mark Hallett
37. Therapeutic Applications of Conotoxins, Michael F. Saulino, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
38. Spider and Wasp Neurotoxins, Wagner F. dos Santos, Editor: J. Oliver Dolly
By Joseph Jankovic, MD, Professor of Neurology and Director, Parkinson's Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX; Alberto Albanese; M. Zouhair Atassi, PhD, DSc, Robert A. Welch Chair of Chemistry, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Professor of Immunology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX; J. Oliver Dolly; Mark Hallett, MD, Chief, Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA; and Nathaniel H. Mayer