Here is an exciting new guide to the use of PET-CT imaging in radiotherapy. You’ll get practical, useful information for utilizing this novel imaging technique—from different methods for contouring biological target volumes in various anatomic regions to how different experts use this imaging in targeted treatment. This thorough text helps you make concise, accurate treatment choices based on current evidence and expert authority. The result is an essential tool for everyone on the radiotherapy treatment team in the era of image-guided radiotherapy.
- Helps familiarize you with the basics of PET imaging in nuclear medicine.
- Covers the use of PET-CT with radiotherapy treatment planning, offering practical guidance in how different experts use this relatively new technology.
- Highlights contrast using full-color images, clearly indicating target volumes and different radiation dosages.
- Outlines the advantages and disadvantages of different techniques in contouring PET-CT target volumes for radiotherapy.
- Features case illustrations in using PET-CT in radiotherapy treatment planning for different tumor sites.
Table of Contents
Section I: Introduction
- Chapter 1 PET-CT in Radiotherapy Treatment Planning, Arnold C. Paulino, MD
Section II: Principles of Imaging in Nuclear Medicine
- Chapter 2 Principles of PET-CT Scanning, Stephen Chiang, MD
Section III: PET-CT Fusion and Target Delineation
- Chapter 3 Image Registration and Fusion Techniques, Timothy Fox, PhD; Eric Elder, PhD; Ian Crocker, MD
- Chapter 4 Biological Target Volume, Katherine Mah, MSc, FCCPM; Curtis B. Caldwell, PhD, MCCPM
Section IV: Clinical Applications
- Chapter 5 Head and Neck, Arnold C. Paulino, MD; Bin S. Teh, MD; E. Brian Butler, MD
- Chapter 6 Esophageal Cancer, Trevor Leong, MBBS, MD, FRANZCR
- Chapter 7 Rectal and Anal Cancers, Cynthia Anderson, MD; Mary Koshy, MD; Jerome C. Landry, MD
- Chapter 8 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, Kenneth Rosenzweig, MD; Carlo Greco, MD
- Chapter 9 Small Cell Lung Cancer, Nena Mirkovic, MD; Suneel Nagda, MD
- Chapter 10 Gynecologic Cancer, Karen Godette, MD; Mariana Galli Guevara, MD; Sushil Beriwal, MD
- Chapter 11 Genitourinary Cancer, Bin S. Teh, MD; Charles Bloch, PhD; Stephen Chiang, MD; Susan Richardson, PhD; E. Brian Butler, MD; Robert Amato, DO; Arnold C. Paulino, MD
- Chapter 12 Lymphoma, Natia Esiashvili, MD; Cynthia Anderson, MD; Shannon T. Kahn, BS, MAC, MD; Raghuveer Halkar, MD
- Chapter 13 Melanoma, Min Yao, MD, PhD; Yusuf Menda, MD; John E. Bayouth, PhD
- Chapter 14 Pediatric Tumors, Arnold C. Paulino, MD; James G. Douglas, MD, MS
- Chapter 15 Central Nervous System Tumors, James G. Douglas, MD, MS; Alexander M. Spence, MD
Section V: Economic Considerations
- Chapter 16 Economic Considerations of PET Scanning Diagnosis, Staging, and Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning, Andre Konski, MD, MBA, MA, FACR
By Arnold C. Paulino, MD, Associate Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Methodist Hospital, Division of Radiation Oncology, Houston, TX, USA