Uses algorithms, tables, boxes, and chapter summaries to maximize ease of
Includes annotated references for further study.
Includes new chapters examining Barrett’s esophagus, Crohn’s disease,
ulcerative colitis, and more.
Features an all-new design for more user-friendly reference.
I. Modes of therapy
1. Molecular and Cellular Targets in Therapy of Acid-related Diseases 2. Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Motor and Sensory Disorders of the Gut 3. Probiotics 4. Nutrition Support in the Patient with Gastrointestinal Disease 5. Nutrition and Malnutrition in Liver Disease
II. Special considerations in dosing/Considerations in special populations:
The Immunocompromised host
6. Esophageal Infections 7. Enteric Infections in Immunocompromised Hosts 8. Biliary Infections in the Immunocompromised Patient 9. Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Complications of Bone Marrow Transplantation 10. Pregnancy 11. Treatment of the Elderly Patient 12. Children
III. Management of ESOPHAGEAL DISORDERS
13. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease 14. Barrett's Esophagus 15. Management of Achalasia 16. Treatment of Esophageal Disorders caused by Medications, Caustic Ingestion, Foreign Bodies and Trauma 17. Approach to the Patient with Esophageal Cancer
IV. Management of GASTRODUODENAL DISORDERS
18. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori Infection 19. Therapy and Prevention of NSAID-related Gastrointestinal Disorders 20. Treatment of Non-NSAID and Non-H. Pylori Gastroduodenal Ulcers and Hypersecretory States 21. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding 22. Gastric Outlet Obstruction, Perofration and other Complications of Gastroduodenal Ulcer 23. Treatment of Gastric Volvulus and Diaphragmatic Hernias 24. Gastric Neoplasia
V. Management of PANCREATICOBILIARY DISORDERS
25. Biliary Tract Stones 26. Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis 27. Acute Pancreatitis 28. Chronic Pancreatiis 29. Pancreatic Cancer 30. Cholangiocarcinoma and Other Biliary Tumors 31. Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome and other Neuroendocrine Tumors
VI. Management of HEPATIC DISORDERS
32. Treatment of Hereditary Hemochromatosis, Wilson Disease, and other Metabolic Disorders of the Liver 33. Prophylaxis and Treatment of Viral Hepatitis 34. Autoimmune Hepatitis 35. Bacterial, Fungal and Granulomatous Diseases of the Liver 36. Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease 37. Drug-induced Hepatic Injury (Prevention) 38. Primary Biliary Cirrhosis 39. Variceal Hemorrhage 40. Ascites and Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis 41. Hepatic Encephalopathy 42. Hepatorenal Syndrome 43. Fulminant Hepatic Failure 44. Long-term Care of the Liver Transplant Recipient 45. Primary Tumors of the Liver 46. Neonatal Jaundice 47. The Pregnant Patient with Jaundice
VII. Management of INTESTINAL DISORDERS
48. Irritable Bowel Syndrome 49. Celiac Sprue and other Malabsorptive Disorders 50. Treatment of Acute Infectious Diarrheas 51. Treatment of Clostridium difficile Diarrhea and Colitis 52. Treatment of Intestinal Parasitic Diseases 53. Treatment of Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis 54. Treatment of Radiation-induced Enterocolitis: a Mechanistic Approach 55. Approach to the Patient with Short-bowel Syndrome 56. Crohn's Disease 57. Ulcerative Colitis 58. Intestinal Obstruction 59. Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction 60. Hirschsprung's Disease 61. Diverticular Disease of the Colon 62. Vascular Insufficiency 63. Neoplastic Diseases of the Small and Large Bowel 64. Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Anorectal Diseases 65. Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding 66. Hemorrhoids and other Anorectal Disorders
VIII. Therapy of Symptoms/symptom-oriented management/Symptom-based treatments
67. Acute Abdominal Pain 68. Noncardiac Chest Pain 69. Dyspepsia 70. Nausea and Vomiting 71. Constipation and Diarrhea 72. Treatment of Fecal Incontinence