- Provides tips on how to encourage your patients to administer proper self-care.
- Presents new sections covering pediatric diabetes and diabetes in the elderly.
- Addresses problems associated with diabetes including cardiovascular disease, retinopathy, the diabetic foot, and more.
- Features a user-friendly full-color design, for quick and easy reference.
- Highlights pearls, pitfalls, key points, and other important considerations throughout the book.
- Offers appendices containing useful clinical checklists—such as Insulin Regimens, Insulin Adjustment Guidelines, and more.
- Includes a bonus CD-ROM with downloadable images and customizable, printable patient education handouts.
* Introduction/Scope of the problem—The Diabetes/ Metabolic Epidemic * Type I Diabetes—Genetics and Immunology * Type 2 Diabetes—Insulin Resistance, Beta Cell Dysfunction and Other Metabolic/Hormonal Abnormalities * Biochemical Consequences of Hyperglycemia, PKC, Aldose Reductase, DAG, Oxidative Stress, etc * Pathogenesis and Consequences of Obesity * The Metabolic Syndrome and its Effects on Cardiovascular Risk * Endothelial Abnormalities in Diabetes
* Preventing Diabetes—The Ultimate Management strategy: Lessons from the DPP * Diets and Education—Making it Work * Stress and Depression in Chronic Disease * Exercise—Let’s Get Going
* Insulin Secretagogues * Insulin Sensitizers: Metformin and PPAR ligands * Alpha Glucosidase Agents * Comparing and Choosing Oral Agents—A Comprehensive Approach * Managing Dyslipidemia * Hypertension in Diabetes * Optimal Insulin Strategies * Beyond Insulin therapy—Other Hormonal Approaches * Weight Loss Agents and Over-the-Counter Medications * Insulin Pump therapy * Blood Glucose Monitoring (Including CGMS/Noninvasive methods/ HbAic/ Fructosamine) * Pancreas and Islet Transplant—What Every Physician Needs to Know
* Diabetic Ketoacidosis * Hypoglycemia and its Management * Diabetic Neuropathy (Including autonomic neuropathy and gastroparesis) * Diabetic Nephropathy * Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetes—An Endothelial Disorder * The Diabetic Foot * Managing Cardiovascular Disease and Events in the Patient with Diabetes * Diabetic Retinopathy—Screening and Therapy
* Type I Diabetes in Children and Adolescents * Type II Diabetes in Children and Adolescents (including pediatric obesity)
Special Populations and Situations
* Diabetes and Pregnancy * Inpatient Diabetes Management * Diabetes in the Elderly * Diabetes in African Americans * Diabetes in Latinos * New Drugs Causing Diabetes—HIV and Schizophrenia Treatment * Surgery for Obesity—Potential Impact on Diabetesb
Organization and Delivery of Diabetes Care
* Running a Diabetes Clinic * Costs and Cost-Control in Diabetes—Using the System to the Patient’s Advantage * Effective Pharmacist Management in Diabetes
Tips and Trends
* Pearls from Major Clinical Trials—Practical Tips to Improve Outcomes: Important Lessons from the DCCT/ UKPDS/ ACCORD/ HOPE/ ALLHAT/ STENO etc. * Trends in Diabetes and Obesity—Fear and Hope
Appendix—Insulin Regimens, Insulin Adjustment Guidelines