The important Third Edition of this successful book conveys a modern and integrated picture of metabolism and metabolic regulation. Explaining difficult concepts with unequalled clarity, author Keith Frayn provides the reader with an essential guide to the subject. Covering topics such as energy balance, body weight regulation and how the body copes with extreme situations, this book illustrates how metabolic regulation allows the human body to adapt to many different conditions. Changes throughout the new edition include:
- Extensive chapter updates
- Clear and accessible 2-color diagrams
Frayn has written a book which will continue to be an extremely valuable tool for scientists, practitioners and students working and studying across a broad range of allied health sciences including medicine, biochemistry, nutrition, dietetics, sports science and nursing.
Table of Contents
- List of Abbreviations.
- The Underlying Principles of Human Metabolism.
- Cellular Mechanisms Involved in Metabolic Regulation.
- Digestion and Intestinal Absorption.
- Longer-Term Regulation of Metabolism.
- Organs and Tissues.
- Important Endocrine Organs and Hormones.
- Integration of Carbohydrate, Fat, and Protein Metabolism in Normal Daily Life.
- The Nervous System and Metabolism.
- Coping with Some Extreme Situations.
- Lipoprotein Metabolism.
- Diabetes Mellitus.
- Energy Balance and Body Weight Regulation.
- Colour plate section can be found between pages148 and 149.